Question about VWic card vwic2-2mft-t1

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
I got a vwic2-2mft-t1 card off ebay for one of my routers to set up a lab, and I just really noticed that other cards show the t1/e1 at the end of the module name.

Does it being T1 only mean it can only connect to other T1 interfaces, or it requires a PVDM module to process incoming traffic (like its for PSTN only)?

I bought it for a 2611xm router that currently has no PVDM module, looking to connect it to another voice router with a vwic, and use the additonal T1 port to connect it my UCS box.

I guess my main question is will the vwic t1 ports limit my connectivity to other devices, and is anything extra needed to make the connections? Thanks!

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Yes the VWIC2 cards can be a T1 or E1 depending on what you want or the other side. We usually use those for T1 or PRI termination. If you want to connect to the 2611 you will need to setup the 2611 with some PVDM's and a VWIC as well. You can buy older VWIC's for the 2611 as its only a few commands that are different.

Yes the VWIC limits your connectivity to your other devices at T1 speed. Your best bet is to connect the to your UCS box from your HQ site over ethernet as its much faster.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Ok so to connect the server I'd have to get a vwic with at least one ethernet interface, as I'm assuming signalling traffic can't go out the normal e1 interface on the router.

Thanks for the help shodown, you are always a great help!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    You will need a switch to really connect.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    Does the 2611XM support a VWIC2-MFT? I'll have to lookup that up or you'll find out soon enough when you plug it in and see if it recognizes it.
    I currently have a 2611xm running CME and a 2801 running CME on the way as well, so I'm going to be swapping them around to see what fits where. These voice components are a whole new world to me, so this is a pretty steep learning curve as far as hardware is concerned.
  • bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    I don't believe they are compatible but don't quote me. I haven't touched a 2611XM in a few years. The 2801's are a little quirky too.. try to obtain 2811s/2821s if possible. You'll save yourself alot of headaches :)

Edit: Looks like you may be fine afterall. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.pdf
    That is good to see, I actually loaded up on some 2611XM routers when putting together an NA/NP R:S lab because of the voice capability, so hopefully they will be useful in some capacity in a voice lab - thanks for the link to that!