SEC401 Security Essentials Bootcamp Question

Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
Hi All,

I sit for my next security cert, CEH v8, Monday. I've already started planning out what to take after CEH and the boss has agreed to pay for GSEC training/boot camp. I was wondering what materials could I use before I get to boot camp to start preparing before hand? What instructor would be ideal? I'm sure they have plenty of great instructors, but I've seen that Eric Cole is spoken highly of around these boards. Anybody take a class taught by Keith Palmgren? I'm interested in the San Diego location (Atleast I can hit the beach the Saturday before class starts) or I may check out Denver since Dr. Cole is leading that class or maybe Orlando, not sure yet.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am curious, why are you taking GSEC? Having that combo of certs you have I would be looking for something more in depth, perhaps SANS level 500 courses.
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    It's job related. My boss wants everyone on the InfoSec team to have the GSEC.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Eric Cole is the course author for 401, so it's natural to recommend him. That said, virtually every SANS instructor that I've sat in class for (either through pre-recorded OnDemand or in-person live instruction) has been outstanding. 401 is designed as a foundational (but not introductory) security course which covers a lot of ground and also dedicates a day to general Windows security and another day for Unix security.

My recommendation is to look through the course syllabus and let us know what areas you think you're weaker in and perhaps folks here can chime in with their suggestions on what other materials to check out before class.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    any advise for 401 self study ? is the 10 year old cole book still relevant ?
    rm -rf /