Options

Microsoft's New CEO

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Thoughts?

Microsoft's New CEO Satya Nadella: 10 Things to Know | TIME.com

I am excited about this hire. I like how he is a technologist at heart. He has business knowledge (academics and real world). Bill Gates will spend a 1/3 of his time with Satya as a technology adviser unlike some of the other tech companies, (Google and Apple). Not that is a good or bad thing just a different dynamic. I also like how he is from India (brings a potential global vantage point).

In the Wall Street Journal they discussed how mobility and in home gaming will be addressed.

I think getting back to their enterprise roots would be the wise decision. The missed on the internet (not full capitilized) and on the mobility. Good too see Mr Gates leaving his philanthropy role or at least lessening it and transitioning back into a corp tech monster.

I am very excited about this!

Comments

• Options
    This has got to be a marketing strategy. First of all no way he would be installing Windows 8 on his own laptop LOL. Second of all adding in the CEO as another piece of validation is a joke. This is a strategy IMO to admit Windows 8 is a POS.

It will be interesting to see the road map moving forward.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    This has got to be a marketing strategy. First of all no way he would be installing Windows 8 on his own laptop LOL. Second of all adding in the CEO as another piece of validation is a joke. This is a strategy IMO to admit Windows 8 is a POS.

It will be interesting to see the road map moving forward.

It's satire...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    It's satire...
    LOL 2 scotches and a beer will do that too you. Totally missed that Borowitz wrote the article. Thanks for clarifying.......

Now hopefully some good insight.

No word yet if they are going to continue the certification program icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it is a good hire. In my view all tech companies, should hire someone who is a tech guy at heart. That's why some many companies are having issues when they get new leadership. They are hiring people who can't even use their technology to run the company. Plus he sounds like he has plan.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a little scared concerning this change. I feel like this guy is going to try to clean up Steve B's mess.

Steve tried to launch Windows Phones-This plan failed

I don't see Windows phones becoming popular anytime in the near future.

Windows 8 has failed-Microsoft will be releasing Windows 9 in 2015.

However, they won't admit Windows 8 is a failure.

Surface sales aren't doing that good.

Sayta has been at Microsoft for awhile, so it's hard to judge what changes will be made.

Bill Gates must have some worries concerning Microsoft's future, if he is leaving his philanthropic life style to guide/mentor Sayta.

Don't get me wrong I like Microsoft products, However; Microsoft needs to realize that they're no longer the only technology solution option.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My only issue is that Balmer and Gates especially will still have influence over what is going on. I think they need some new blood and take some risks, adopt some new methods. Of course I don't work there and really have no clue what they are actually doing.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Microsoft should have just continued to build on to Windows XP. It IS THE benchmark for Microsoft OS's and it's the one that everyone really wants to use but can't any more. Instead, they re-designed everything with Vista and it's been downhill ever since with their "forced improvements".
  • Options
    Windows 7 replaced XP though, I think I read that Windows 7 adoption is greater than 8? I got my licenses for Windows 8 through WGU so I am using it now and have adapted to it but my desktop computer use is really limited these days to gaming. "Adapting" to Windows 8 for me though is replacing the default applications like PDF viewers with a third party one.

I am pretty happy with Windows 8 Client Hyper-V though.
  • Options
    Windows 8 with or without touch screen? Just curious, I couldn't adjust well without the touch screen.
  • Options
    I don't have a touch screen but Windows 8 isn't really my primary OS though. The full screen apps annoy me on my 23 inch monitor.

Why a leaked Windows 8.1 update and Microsoft's new CEO bode well for PC lovers | PCWorld

I see an update is coming soon to Windows 8 that fixes more things that annoy me with Windows 8. It also checks to see if you lack a touch screen and boots straight to desktop.
  • Options
    Very cool thanks for the heads up and link.
  • Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Windows 8 has not failed. The only reason it doesn't have a higher adoption rate is because Windows 7 is so good. Windows 8, with the free upgrade to 8.1, is a very good OS. Microsoft's main problem during the release is that there was no tutorial or training whatsoever when it came out. No one knew how to use it so they just said it sucked. Us tech-savvy folks could pick up on it but most of the population is completely lost. It is just a different way of doing things, not a harder way.

Also, speaking primarily from a level 2 support guy, Windows 7 is infinitely better than XP. I absolutely hate supporting clients that refuse to move off of XP. It is 15 years old, it's time to upgrade.
  • Options
    Might not have "failed" but it sure the heck hasn't won. Agreed Windows 7 is superior to XP in almost every way.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Windows 7 is an awesome OS, XP and & are solid..the rest can be thrown in the trash.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows 8 is Gash they should stick it in the bin and move onward with 9 and get with of all that touch screen nonsense and take things back to basics.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Windows 8 is Gash they should stick it in the bin and move onward with 9 and get with of all that touch screen nonsense and take things back to basics.

The release of Windows 8 has lead our enterprise to start recommending to our private contractors (whom are responsible for buying their own PC/Notebook) to consider a Mac. Office 2013 didn't win us over any either as they once again demonstrated their inane practice of messing with what was perfectly fine. Microsoft is clearly trying to reinvent itself, they should take note of some of their past failures where they dashed out the gates hard trying to break into markets under Ballmer's lead which resulted in weak results (smartphones, tablets) to outright failures (Zune, Bing).

Hopefully the new CEO can turn things around.
  • Options
    I don't think spending time using my mouse to wander around my screen "looking" for something to pop up makes me tech savvy.
  • Options
    @ mstein I couldn't agree more about Office. Why in the heck would they try to push VSTO which requires development in another environment, when VBA works great within in the application itself. This is just silliness IMO, they have a awesome data interface in Excel and they want to swing into the development world. BIZARRE!