What is the Fastest route to the CCIE

guy+micguy+mic Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying for the A+ cert right now (almost done) and want to know the fastest route to the CCIE cert. I have a job set up that deals with a little of everything (systyem administrator) but I think that Cisco will do a lot more for me financially in the future.
I am just wondering how many exams are invlved in the CCIE and if I need any previous certs in Cisco (CCNP, CSSP, CCVP, etc.) before I can even qualify to take the CCIE.
Thanks for your helping out a newbie.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only requirement for the CCIE is $300 for the written exam, and if you pass, you are then allowed to spend $1250 (and the travel and lodging and preparation costs) on the 8 hour proctored Lab exam. :D

The CCIE pre-dates all the other Cisco Certifications, so they never changed the requirement to include them -- but they do make sense as milestones to test your knowledge. Voice is HOT HOT HOT right now, but the most CCIEs are Routing and Switching -- so the obvious path would be CCNA --> CCNP --> CCIE (with maybe a couple of the CCIP exam like QOS and BGP to help). You could toss the Network+ in the front of the list.

Darby started a thread in the CCIE forum which could give you a hint of what to expect as far as preparation. :D He should be traveling or already at RTP for his Lab Exam tomorrow.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14323

Kenny posted his lab exam experience here
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11053

The Cisco Certification page is here
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html
    and you can follow the CCIE link from there. :D

Or, if you can't wait to check it out -- here is the direct CCIE link :D
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/index.html

And before anyone can tell you that your have got to be crazy to even dream of a CCIE right now.... look at the profile of some of these freaks on the case studies page! Multiple CCIEs in one year! CCIE in one year! Never worked with Cisco stuff but am working on the CCIE! Scroll down on the page to the people profiles.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/case_studies/index.html icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How do I say this tactfully since there are no facial expressions to determine sincerity.

The fact that you have to ask means that you are really new at this. There is no fast way to a CCIE but it is the end of a very expensive journey with much personal sacrifice. I know a couple of people that have lost their jobs, friends and spouses on this road because of neglect while pursuing this cert. In 10 years Cisco has only issued about 15 thousand CCIE numbers with the first number being 1025. The average number of tries to gain one is 2.5 and this is even after the two day exam was dropped down to one day.

You only have to pass a written test to be eligible for the practical exam. While the other certs will help prepare you they are not required as the CCIE came first and the others were added later. All that you need to know about the process is on this link

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/

Unless you were a child prodigy and also have an employer to pay your way, plan on spending 15 to 20k. I suppose you could get off cheaper but most don't. Each written exam attempt is $300 and each lab attempt is $1250 plus travel and lodging unless you just happen to live in a city where they hold exams. There are only two for the entire U.S. for example.

If you would like to read a detailed thread of someone's attempt, do read DarbyWeaver's thread in the CCIE forum of this site with the strange heading Cinco de Mayo. He makes his first attempt this Monday I believe.

Good Luck on your journey.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    I see you beat me to it mikej412. No weekend hangovers for you I see :D:D
    TheShadow wrote:
    I see you beat me to it mikej412. No weekend hangovers for you I see :D:D
    I should be studying for the CCVP exams.....

.... but I've been updating my post... you caught me.

He did admit he was a newbie.... so I am being nice....

.... but have you ever checked out that last link I was putting in as you posted -- now those people are some very successful (or soon to be successful) freaks! (and I mean freaks in the most respectful way it can be said icon_lol.gif )
    Yes I have. One of my friends did CCIE in 8 months with no other experience or certs of any kind. He was reading some of my mags and saw the reports on CCIE salaries. He is divorced now, I did not hear from him for six months, have not heard from him lately, I think he is doing another one. Of course he was considering a stint in the middle east doing infrastructure so who knows as he had nothing to keep him here. Cisco became somewhat of a drug for him and covered his every waking moment. And I don't mean in the way that posters on techexams see it. I consider this the normal likeness for technology. It really scared me and moved him into what you called the freak category. He was having a middle age crisis and thought no one would hire him. This was his solution. I hope he is well.
  • guy+micguy+mic Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, all of this information is really great!
    I've spent hours trying to research and find this kind of info so thanks for being patient with me. I am a relative newbie to the cert process even though I have been in It for a couple of years, believe it or not! :)

I'll definately get a start on my CCNA and take a seriously long look at Network+. The CCIE seems like something I'll have to consider later on as I gain more experience in Networking in the corporate environment. I'm really getting excited about getting the experience along with the certs and open up new doors in my career.
    Thanks.

P.S.
    Just out of curiosity, what are the salaries for CCIE?
    I've seen in the range of CND$100 000 as a consultant with 6 yrs. experience in my city.
    guy+mic wrote:
    I'll definitely get a start on my CCNA and take a seriously long look at Network+. The CCIE seems like something I'll have to consider later on as I gain more experience in Networking in the corporate environment.
    The Network+ overlaps a lot with the CCNA INTRO material.... and it can be used with the A+ as a Microsoft elective if you want to pick up a few Microsoft Certs along the way.

You can still consider the CCIE now -- it could be the ultimate goal of a 2 or 3 or 5 year plan! Or, if you're slightly crazy, you could try a 1 year plan (hint: get a job at a Cisco Business Partner delivering and racking routers, and then work your way up from there.... for the expierence and to use their lab).
    guy+mic wrote:
    I've seen in the range of CND$100 000 as a consultant with 6 yrs. experience in my city.
    Hum.... what's that in real dollars? icon_lol.gif A CCIE who doesn't forget everything they learned the moment they walk out of the lab exam should get a nice bunch of currency anywhere.

While the CCIE is possibly the ultimate techie certification -- you may still have to clean up nicely, wear a suit, and talk nice to business wonks.... I'm hoping to avoid those kinds of jobs when I get my CCIE.

On the other hand I did see an ad last year for a CCIE for US$60K -- I made that in the early 90's when there was only vendor training and "certification exams" at the end of the class. I guess they were looking for a CCIE who was book smart but common sense dumb. icon_lol.gif

Once you know where you want to go, then you can figure out the best way to get there.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    passing the exam .....
    rm -rf /