Options

Passed 74-409... MCSE Questions...

ZazzlerZazzler Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

This is my first time posting, I came across this forum when searching for information on the 74-409.

A year ago I signed up for LearnSmart's Microsoft library training where I get access for 2 years and free vouchers (1 per month) for any MS test. This last fall, I finally got going on some MS exams. In December, I got my MCSA: Server 2012, and in January I passed 70-413, and I plan on taking 70-414 at the end of the month to get MCSE: Server Infrastructure. I came across the 74-409 and watched the videos, and took the exam today and passed (I have about five years of WS administration; 2 years exclusively with Hyper-V). (Side question: what does the 74-409 look like on your official MS Transcript?)

Anyways, like I noted above, I'll be taking the 70-414 to complete the MCSE. But looking beyond that, I'm not sure. My last voucher that I can claim is in September, so I want to take advantage of it as much as possible.

This is what I thought, and would like other people's opinions. After completing 70-414, my goal would be going after MCSE: Private Cloud and then MCSA: SQL Server 2012. Like I said earlier, I only get 1 voucher a month, which is perfect for me, so I can focus on one exam at a time but also stay on a deadline.

Thanks!
Currently Studying: MCSE: Private Cloud (70-246 in March; 70-247 in April)

Goals for 2014: MCSA: SQL 2012; Project+; CAPM; Linux+/LPIC-1

Thinking about: MS degree through WGU; CCNA: Security

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome! Here's how it will look on your transcript:

When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Awesome! Thank you!

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Zazzler wrote: »
    Hello,

This is my first time posting, I came across this forum when searching for information on the 74-409.

A year ago I signed up for LearnSmart's Microsoft library training where I get access for 2 years and free vouchers (1 per month) for any MS test. This last fall, I finally got going on some MS exams.

This sounds like a great deal, how much does this cost and is it still available?
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    This sounds like a great deal, how much does this cost and is it still available?

At the time I think I got it for $1,500 for two-years, but this was in 2012. I know things have changed so I don't know what they offer right now. I was pretty disappointed overall with them. They hadn't even released the 2012 material until about last November, and I'm not sure if they even have the updated content for R2... needless to say, I am just using it for the free vouchers and using CBT Nuggets. When I got it, it was only the MS library so I got their videos, study guide books, audio lectures, and 15-minute study guide. Let me know if you're interested, I'm not sure if they do a referral or not...

I did receive an email and I attached their email, perhaps it might be helpful:
    We’ll Pay Just to Try Us Out.

No gimmicks. No games. This isn’t one of those infomercial, “but wait, there’s more...” deals. We’re 100% serious. Try us out and we’ll pay for your next certification exam. If you decide not to stay, we’ll still pay. We’re so confident you’ll choose LearnSmart, we’ll pay for your next exam just for trying us out. Stay with us, and we’ll pay for every exam for the next two years. Seriously! Give us a call at 1-800-418-6789. Once you try us, we’re certain you’ll trust us for your entire career. Let us prove it to you.
    Try LearnSmart now and we'll pay for your next exam -- whether you stick with us or not! And if you do stick with us, we'll pay for your vouchers for a full two years.Taking Your Exam Free is Easy!

Getting your free voucher for trying LearnSmart is simple. Just sign up through one of our friendly sales reps now and you're eligible for your free voucher. The following terms and conditions apply:
    Free Voucher Terms and Conditions
    • $129 non-refundable initial payment required
    • 10 hour minimum usage required (video training)
    • Free voucher offer restricted to vouchers carried in LearnSmart store
    • Free voucher must be requested within 30 days of registration (voucher request instructions provided at purchase)
    • All terms of LearnSmart Use Agreement and Trial Access apply
    • For cancellation instructions, see Trial Access section of Use Agreement.
      View Use Agreement here.

So $129 is not "free" but if you could get a free voucher - say Security+ or something that is 200+, then perhaps it would be worth it? Not sure...

• Options
    gpf2ezgpf2ez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started looking at this company based off the first report but PLEASE read reviews before you sign up. They have a B- BBB score and I have read reports that if you sign up for the $50 first month you have to watch at least 5 hours of their material before you can cancel without paying $500 (WTF?).

http://www.learnsmartsystems.com/corporate/legal/returns/

Eligible Refund Amount
    LearnSmart will refund the amount paid in a single transaction for all LearnSmart training products less processing fee. Setup, initialization, installation, and/or activation fees are non-refundable.
    Processing Fee
    A 25% processing fee will apply to all refunded products. 25% of the original purchase price will be automatically deducted from the refund amount.

Library Cancellation / Return
    If a customer chooses to return a qualifying Library purchase, LearnSmart will waive any remaining balance of Processing Fee due after subtracting payments already made if Minimum Usage Requirement is met. The Minimum Usage Requirement is equal to an average of not less than ten (10) minutes per day of 30 Day access time granted by LearnSmart. Customer must meet the Minimum Usage Requirement before the end of the Refund Application Deadline. Minimum usage is calculated as the recorded time spent watching a full segment of video within the online video system one single time as recorded by LearnSmart. Multiple views of a single segment of video will count as only a single viewing instance for the purposes of calculating minimum usage. If Minimum Usage is not met, customer is responsible for payment of Processing Fee.
  • Options
    gpf2ez wrote: »
    I started looking at this company based off the first report but PLEASE read reviews before you sign up. They have a B- BBB score and I have read reports that if you sign up for the $50 first month you have to watch at least 5 hours of their material before you can cancel without paying $500 (WTF?).

A+ Certification MCSE Training CCNA CISSP® Training CEH Microsoft eLearning MCITP Computer Training Videos and CBT

Eligible Refund Amount
    LearnSmart will refund the amount paid in a single transaction for all LearnSmart training products less processing fee. Setup, initialization, installation, and/or activation fees are non-refundable.
    Processing Fee
    A 25% processing fee will apply to all refunded products. 25% of the original purchase price will be automatically deducted from the refund amount.

Library Cancellation / Return
    If a customer chooses to return a qualifying Library purchase, LearnSmart will waive any remaining balance of Processing Fee due after subtracting payments already made if Minimum Usage Requirement is met. The Minimum Usage Requirement is equal to an average of not less than ten (10) minutes per day of 30 Day access time granted by LearnSmart. Customer must meet the Minimum Usage Requirement before the end of the Refund Application Deadline. Minimum usage is calculated as the recorded time spent watching a full segment of video within the online video system one single time as recorded by LearnSmart. Multiple views of a single segment of video will count as only a single viewing instance for the purposes of calculating minimum usage. If Minimum Usage is not met, customer is responsible for payment of Processing Fee.

gpf2ez, I read those when I first signed up. I wasn't concerned with the return policy, because I knew I wasn't going to cancel or return anything (And I guess I wasn't concerned because my job paid for it, not me)... That being said, thanks for posting that to make people aware. I've never had an issue with them (despite arguments with their tech support regarding a few things), and I've been a customer for almost 2 years.

• Options
    ClearwatermsClearwaterms Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently finished the 70-413 and am studying the 70-414 right now (materials are quite a bit more scarce) and I am registered for an MVA live class tomorrow on virtualization (Hyper-V and System Center) this week.

I have approx. 1.5 years experience in Hyper-V and over 4 years of experience in virtualization in general. Did you find the 74-409 difficult? My normal training path isn't available for the 74-409 (CBT, measure up, tech-net for pieces that are missing) so I am wondering if after taking the class and working through the labs that are on MVA's website, will i be ready to take the exam?
  • Options
    gpf2ezgpf2ez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed 74-409 last Sat (2/15/14). I have almost zero Hyper-V experience but I have been administrating vCenter for a couple years. I found that the test was not too hard. I used the MVA class from Nov I think as my only study material.