Staying Focused – Self Study

Hi,

I have been having trouble staying focused on my studying after all there are so many more fun things around. icon_wink.gif

I was just wondering how/if anyone who is self studying keeps themselves focused.

I have been thinking about setting out a timetable of topics this may help

Any Tips?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only way for me is to partner with someone or group study. I don't have the discipline on my own, generally speaking.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
    Maybe I should use CBT Nuggets and treat it like a course. Have a load of questions at the end of the topic, reading as homework :P
  • datakiddatakid Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Man im feeling the same way im just now trying to get back on track with my studies. i working on my mcp 70-294 the reason that im starting off with that cert is b/c we are using Active directory right now. we maybe we can swap information and study together and really learn windows ok
  • Kevin_cambs_ukKevin_cambs_uk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is what sets the men from the boys, with regards to certification. Those who knuckle down and get on with it and those that don't. Obviuosly all of us on here get down to it, but this is what gets me going to pass them, knowing that people I know are doing them and me wanting to pass them first.

However, the World cup being on is a major problem !
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I'm having a lot of trouble staying focused at the moment...

Mainly due to the fantastic weather we're having icon_cool.gif
    Up Next : Not sure :o
    I know what you mean.

Maybe we should all take the summer off, then we would not feel so bad
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Maybe we should all take the summer off, then we would not feel so bad

I agree, especially with the World Cup on icon_cool.gif
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349

However, the World cup being on is a major problem !

Same here, trying to get going with 70 - 290 but tracking my fantasy world cup team and the games + work is a lot to handle right now
    stonecold26.jpg
    After I passed 70-270 I was all go working on 70-290 but soon the games, work and the weather stopped play icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I am going to book my exam this week, that way I have a deadline to work to and I will have to work icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Work Hard, Play Hard.

Study for a good solid peroid then enjoy yourself and take a break.

Repeat and gets certs ;)
  • solo79solo79 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Self study for me was hard, constantly focused on nothing but a book or a computer. My eyes got so strained I thought I was going to have to see an eye doctor. I really had to stay focused on the goal. (I don't like to fail) I allowed myself breaks usually dinner & lunch and one day a week (usually Saturday) for play. icon_eek.gif
    Finally ALL Done!!!!!!! MCSE:Messaging - Task Complete
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Set time aside to study. It's extremely hard if you work all day as well. The best thing to do is get a little studying in everyday. You really don't want to cram it due to the fact your brain can only absorb and learn so many things in 1 day. Set an hour aside every day. I come home from work at 5 - eat - then study for an hour. If something comes up that day for some reason, don't let it bother you - Make it up that weekend. The key is consistency! :D
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    That's what seperates the men from the boys. You should be able to set your mind to something and achieve it no matter what the situation. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
    Thanks guy I now know what I am going to go, I am booking my exam this week for in about a months time (i can always re-schedule it) that way I have a deadline, and I think you are correct
    The key is consistency!

During 20-270 and the start of 70-290 I was very consistent however I made the mistake of taking a couple of evening off and have never really got back into the swing of things icon_mad.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Marry a beautiful stong willed woman.....who has a gun.....worked for me icon_eek.gif :P
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I look at it like any other task, such as school or work. You have to make the time, regardless of how you feel, but also plan to take breaks, relax. I know I can get a little obsessed, but I plan to have days off, or take a weekend to spend with my girlfriend. Finding that balance between work and play helps a lot. I also realize, about myself, that I have a hard time starting things. Once I get started, it's no problem studying for a few hours, or getting through that particular section I'd laid out for myself. So, I focus on the start, not so much the amount of hours or the amount of work; just gotta get started.

In the long-term, it's hard to stay with it. Getting up day after day, trying to study while having so many other things to do. It's difficult to come home after work or after classes and try to sit down and study this stuff, regardless of how much I enjoy it. I'd rather watch TV, I'd rather play video games, I'd rather go for a drive. . . but then I remember: my TV is itty-bitty, my video game system is ten years old, and I don't own my own car. After that, I open up a spreadsheet with a little salary calculator on it. I look at my own salary, putting in the dollar amount I make now, or the amount I make per year at the moment. . . then I put in what some of these IT jobs I want are advertising for, and I feel that urge to study and pass more certification tests coming right back.

I guess you have to find whatever motivates you, both in the long-run and the here and now. Sometimes it's just that beautiful sky out there that calls to you, and you don't want to spend the day reading or working on that labsim. Other times, it's those next few weeks/months/years that you'd rather not have to study for. Look for reasons in your own life, write yourself a contract, or just list all the reasons why you're doing this in the first place. Do whatever it takes to movitate you, and you'll be able to push through it all. At the end, you'll feel proud that you did it, you'll be glad you didn't give up, and you'll probably be in a better place than you started.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Marry a beautiful stong willed woman.....who has a gun.....worked for me

You know, I find that works for a lot of things. LOL

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.