I passed and you can too

LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
I scored an 869 on the Security plus this weekend.

My prep materials were Darril's book and his blog. I read his book over a 3 week period and then spend a week doing the practice exams and going back and reviewing. I work full time and I have a family so I studied nights after the kids were in bed and on the weekends when I had an extra few hours.

Darril's blog was a great resource about the performance based questions so those were not a surprise to me:
Security+ Performance Based Questions - Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead

My advice for anyone studying for this exam is as follows:

Set a date the day you start to study. Pick a date for your exam right away, be it 2 weeks later, 4 weeks later, 8 weeks later ... whatever. Just set a date and work toward it. This is a very do-able exam.

Work your way through the material you are using to study and then try to have that done a week or two before your exam date. Then use the last week or two to do a few practice exams, find out what areas you are weak in and go back and read just those sections again.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Job well done!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much experience have you had prior to studying
  • LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TByrd450 wrote: »
    How much experience have you had prior to studying

10+ years working in IT, but honestly this exam is very straightforward. The concepts are not overly complex and there are not that many terms to memorize. There was nothing on the exam that wasn't in Darril's book or on his blog.
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    Great Job, I just brought Dirril's book and im also using exam cram. My exam date Feb 22, 2014. So what's next?
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • wompywompy Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job! I'm hoping to tackle this exam in the next month.
  • LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DonM34 wrote: »
    Great Job, I just brought Dirril's book and im also using exam cram. My exam date Feb 22, 2014. So what's next?

You'll do well. Darril's book is great.

Next... CEH.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like the 'lostpacket' has found its destination, congrats.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Great job.
  • BlvmodBlvmod Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed today also! Didn't do as well as I expected but I passed. Got an 816. I was a little shocked considering all the mistakes I had made. Also the simulations took up some time for me. I used Darril Gibson's book as my main study material also. Great book! I was given some sample exam questions also which came in handy. The simulations I was told about by a friend of mine and they weren't too bad. Good luck to those who plan to take the exam and if you need any material, let me know and I can send it to you.
  • oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Lostpacket .
    @Blvmod, I would appreciate any materials for the exam. Thank you.
    Blvmod wrote: »
    I passed today also! Didn't do as well as I expected but I passed. Got an 816. I was a little shocked considering all the mistakes I had made. Also the simulations took up some time for me. I used Darril Gibson's book as my main study material also. Great book! I was given some sample exam questions also which came in handy. The simulations I was told about by a friend of mine and they weren't too bad. Good luck to those who plan to take the exam and if you need any material, let me know and I can send it to you.
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management