Which version of exchange server

Which version of exchange server is designed to work properly with Microsoft office outlook 2010 and windows server 2012.

Comments

• powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows Server 2012 is going to place you into really needing Exchange 2013, which also supports Office Outlook 2010. Now, if you install with Exchange 2010 SP3 right out of the box, you can install it on Windows Server 2012, as well. I would argue that we are still very early in the Exchange 2013 days and that most folks should probably look at Exchange 2010 unless they are doing a clean/greenfield deployment or don't use public folders (or at least not extensively). I have done a couple of migration to 2013 now and they go fine, but the administration interface (assuming you aren't fluent in PowerShell yet) is drastically different than anything before; if you are fine with PowerShell, then it is a cakewalk because the commands are so similar to Exchange 2010.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, times have changed. I almost can't imagine that I would have written this in February of this year... but I guess I see my logic, the web interface is different.

I have been pushing 2013 heavily since then, though... doing several large migrations of 12k+ mailboxes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    powerfool wrote: »
    Wow, times have changed. I almost can't imagine that I would have written this in February of this year... but I guess I see my logic, the web interface is different.

I have been pushing 2013 heavily since then, though... doing several large migrations of 12k+ mailboxes.

Indeed! Unlike Microsoft's Desktop OSes, a year after release with all CUs and service packs, the newest version is typically the best. Exchange 2013 has drastic improvements over exchange 2010 which was drastically better than 2007, etc.

Biggest downside is web only console with the exception of the "toolbox" options. But compare that with having all roads in and out lead to "problem free 443" as I call it. Also, CAS proxies and a unified mailbox/hub role! Yes please. DAGs now install in 3 clicks or 3 commands.

Def go with exchange 2013!