Options

Online mode indexing?

z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm just a Desktop Tech, so forgive me, but I have a question about indexing and On line mode (win7 and outlook/exchange 2010)

In cached mode, you can tell the client to index the .ost file for searching. This only pertains to personal inboxes and not group in boxes, right?

In online mode, indexing is done on the server, correct? There's no .ost file to index so where do the search results come from?

We have some users here (win7, with exchange and outlook 2010) and when they search their mailboxes (group and personal), they get incomplete results.

I'm just trying to get a better handle on how the indexing and searching in online mode works.

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The OST file is indexed client side, but this doesn't include other mailboxes (though you can setup offline mode for them if you add them through your profile) nor does it include public folders.

If you are in online mode, you are relying on the indexing from the server. When you search, it requests the server to perform the search and return the results.

I would suggest rebuilding the indices on the databases, if you are having issues, but have whoever is responsible for Exchange check the event logs (may required more verbose logging) to see if there are errors, first. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to make sure you are up to date on SP and roll-ups (or cumulative updates), and then do a general server health check to ensure you don't have disk latency issues or general file system issues. There may also be database corruption, so it may be a good idea to create a new database and migrate mailboxes to it. That is a lot to go through, so I wouldn't attempt to take this on yourself if you don't have experience.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro