Difference between PMP and ITIL?

HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

What is the difference PMP and ITIL exam?

Which would be best for moving into a manager role in the future?

Comments

• ZazzlerZazzler Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As far as difference, I would look here: Fahrudin Golos » PMI vs. ITIL: How Are They Different?

I have the ITIL and it was pretty simple, I just read the Sybex book, and took the test. No pre-reqs or requirements for the exam. PMP has some strict guidelines:
    [h=3]PMP Eligibility Overview[/h]To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
    • A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree, or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

OR
    • A four-year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

I don't meet those requirements (4,500 hours of leading projects) so I am going to be pursuing the CAPM in May. I personally would recommend getting the ITIL first.
    Currently Studying: MCSE: Private Cloud (70-246 in March; 70-247 in April)

Goals for 2014: MCSA: SQL 2012; Project+; CAPM; Linux+/LPIC-1

Thinking about: MS degree through WGU; CCNA: Security
  • HR8886HR8886 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Zazzler wrote: »
    As far as difference, I would look here: Fahrudin Golos » PMI vs. ITIL: How Are They Different?

I have the ITIL and it was pretty simple, I just read the Sybex book, and took the test. No pre-reqs or requirements for the exam. PMP has some strict guidelines:

I don't meet those requirements (4,500 hours of leading projects) so I am going to be pursuing the CAPM in May. I personally would recommend getting the ITIL first.

Thanks so much!

How long did you study for the ITIL?
    HR8886 wrote: »
    Thanks so much!

How long did you study for the ITIL?

My son needed his tonsils out, so we were in the hospital for about three days. Took advantage of that time :) I spent about a week, and then took it. Very "common sense" questions.

lol wow

Did you use a particular book?

• datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITIL foundation can't be compared to the PMP. Maybe the ITIL Master-level, but not foundation.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• shbshb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd do PMP first... that way any course work you do towards ITIL (foundation or intermediate) will have PDUS towards sustaining your PMP.

I'd also agree ITIL foundation is easy - read a book do a practice exam and you should be able to pass. IT does not compare with the level of experience or knowledge required for PMP. I'd also rate CAPM as harder that ITIL foundation.
  • SiddsgSiddsg Banned Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    ITIL covers is a much larger lifecycle called the Service Lifecycle, where the Project Delivery which is covered by PMP is only a small part called Service Transition in ITIL terms.
    The complete ITIL Service Lifecycle covers Service Strategy, Service Design, Service Transition and Service Operation.
    Also, ITIL is basically IT related while PMP is a generic framework related to Project Management lifecycle andis useful in any industry. I have met project managers from construction, chemical, IT, and engineering industries taking the PMP exam to help them manage their projects better.
    From an exam taking perspective, the ITIL foundation exam (with only 40 questions to be answered in 1 hour) is much easier than the PMP (with 200 questions to be answered in 4 hours.
    Hope that is useful!

Thanks and Regards,
    Sidd
  • zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    I just found out about ITIL certification...i had been researching the CAPM and PMP, but i think i will pursue the ITIL first. I currently am a IT Server Admin looking to get into a lead role or project coordinator/manager. I see many jobs posted for ITIL too despite PMP jobs outnumbering them. Since there is no pre-req like the poster mentioned along with no need to spend money on classes and just taking the exam(how much is it?), i will do this exam first to get my studying habits back again...been out of school mode for a while. Some have told me to just wait and take the PMP when i earn enough hours instead of CAPM...what do you guys think? Also, how strict are they when verifying hours for PMP pre-req? As long as you have led some project in the past, wouldn't that count as hours towards PMP? I led a project like 7 yrs ago...just not recently. Thanks.

p.s: Is it ITIL V3 or 2011?
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would presume that are quite strict. As for the time, I don't believe there is an expiration, but you must have 4500 hours of leading projects - it would throw a flag to me that if you acquired enough hours to qualify 7 years ago, that you haven't managed any projects since then, as most people that lead projects tend to stay in that lane (if not advance higher up the chain into program management.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed