Options

I passed!

69cuda340s69cuda340s Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed! Got an 809. I thought I would do better, I was very confident going in. The simulations took a lot of time. Some of the questions were hard but a lot of them were straight forward. They did not let me use a calculator so that cost me extra time on some questions. I don't have an infosec background but I have programmed many TCP and UDP sockets in C and have used WireShark for many years. I did not have the Network+ cert either.

I used Darril Gibson's book and read through every chapter carefully, I purchased his online Security+ Study Package, and put in an insane amount of time prepping. I got a 95% on the end of book test, closed book, and I had not reviewed the questions ahead of time. Anyway, I thought the Gibson materials were excellent. I also googled and studied up on a lot of network related subjects just to get a little more solid in those areas.

I watched a lot of Professor Messer Security+ videos on youtube. I learned some good stuff from those and they are free. Darril Gibson also has some excellent videos on youtube too.

I also worked through the SkillSoft computer based Security+ training since I have free access to that at work. The above materials are a better source. But if you have free access working through the SkillSoft is not a bad idea but I would not pay to use the SkillSoft material...

Comments

• Options
    abraham1493abraham1493 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! What is your next certification journey going to be? I am currently studying for the security+, received my Network+ last year.
    Network+
  • Options
    BlvmodBlvmod Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed today also! Didn't do as well as I expected but I passed. Got an 816. I was a little shocked considering all the mistakes I had made. Also the simulations took up some time for me as well. I used Darril Gibson's book as my main study material also. Great book! I was given some sample exam questions also which came in handy from a prep course I took at work. The simulations I was told about by a friend of mine and they weren't too bad. Good luck to those who plan to take the exam and if you need any material, let me know and I can send it to you.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    69cuda340s69cuda340s Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all. I think I want to step back and get Network+. I would like to be a little more solid in that area. When I got my Security+ score sheet it indicated network areas were where I made mistakes. I also had to go off and study a lot of network stuff to prep for Security+. So Network+ is next.
  • Options
    CriddyCriddy Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At the time I could not find the book everyone has been reading. Barns n Noble was sold out. INstead I got CompTIA Security+ by Glen E. Clarke. Do you guys think that will work as well? I also have been watching the Professor Messer videos.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats! Don't you hate the survey right after the test? Can't they sent it to you via email than right after the test. ugh.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....