Options

getting back to IT. need some assistance

victor527victor527 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background. I was IT support for 2 hospitals for about 10 years. Never needed any certification before. I did PC roll outs server and PC setups. HP 8000 printer repairs. Server backups. Database maintenance. User profiles and much more. If the y needed something done I would do it. I supported over 100 users. They wouldn't give any raises or make me manager so I left. I started a business in shipping.
Now. 10 years later I want to get back into IT. Everyone one wants a certification.
My question is where do I start?
I was thinking Network+ to start. I am a visual learner and like hands on. I have 2 laptops so how can I get hands on training without the equipment?
Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Well for networking there's Cisco simulators that let you practice configuring routers/switches without needing hardware. Like this: Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator: Wendell Odom, Sean Wilkins: 9780789750884: Amazon.com: Books

For systems/desktop stuff you can use Virtualbox or VMware Player to run virtual machines where you can install Windows Server or Linux and mess around.

CBTNuggets.com and pluralsight.com are good for video training
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    victor527 wrote: »
    Background. I was IT support for 2 hospitals for about 10 years. Never needed any certification before. I did PC roll outs server and PC setups. HP 8000 printer repairs. Server backups. Database maintenance. User profiles and much more. If the y needed something done I would do it. I supported over 100 users. They wouldn't give any raises or make me manager so I left. I started a business in shipping.
    Now. 10 years later I want to get back into IT. Everyone one wants a certification.
    My question is where do I start?
    I was thinking Network+ to start. I am a visual learner and like hands on. I have 2 laptops so how can I get hands on training without the equipment?
    Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated
    Thank you

Your question is too ambiguous.

There are different paths for different goals. Are you looking to be a general tech? Networking? Programming? Data center? User support?

As you know now, there are hundreds of certifications. If you be more specific you might get more specific responses.

-scott
  • Options
    Thank you Sheckler
    Currently I have CBT Nugget for Network+
  • Options
    -Scott/Sween machine
    Sorry for just throwing all that info out there.
    I would like to go into Networking.
    I have been away from the IT field so I was looking for a cert to get back in.
    I have the network+ CBT and will watch those videos 2-3,times. The first time would be to get a feel for it. The next time I will take notes. Everyone says the Mike Meyers network + book is good so I will pick it up as additional studying.
    I would like to continue on that path so what will be the next step after network+?
    Also I have two years worth of credits at a community college mostly general Ed.
    I was looking into Western Governor University Networking bachelor,
    There are mix reviews on the school but I like the accelerated part for a bachelor