Best order to study CCNP SP?

neonmanneonman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I recently got the CCNP ROUTE exam. I'm jumping across to the SP track now instead as I work for a SP.

What order do you guys recommend doing the SP track in. I don't have to do SPROUTE as my ROUTE exam covers that off.

Global Knowledge have courses coming up soon in the order of SPEDGE, SPCORE then SPADVROUTE. I was thinking of doing SPADVROUTE first but don't want to have to wait months for the course to come around and miss the other courses.

Any advice much appreciate

Neonman

Comments

• filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Neonman! Congrats at passing ROUTE! We are in the same position. I am studying SPEDGE because it is directly related to the work I do and everything I think about the most at work.

I work directly with Cisco ASR9010s (IOS-XR), ASR901s(IOS), ASR903s(IOS-XE), ALU 7750 SR-12s, ALU 7705 SAR-8 & SAR-Fs.

I work with a cellular carrier on the access network for all 2G, 3G, and 4G services. We route these services through IP microwave and Carrier Ethernet backhaul.

We use OSPF, BGP, MPLS/LDP/RSVP, VPLS/pseudowires, and some other common carrier configurations.

What do you work with at your job?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
    neonman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently got the CCNP ROUTE exam. I'm jumping across to the SP track now instead as I work for a SP.

What order do you guys recommend doing the SP track in. I don't have to do SPROUTE as my ROUTE exam covers that off.

Global Knowledge have courses coming up soon in the order of SPEDGE, SPCORE then SPADVROUTE. I was thinking of doing SPADVROUTE first but don't want to have to wait months for the course to come around and miss the other courses.

Any advice much appreciate

Neonman

I think SPADVROUTE may be your best bet as you were just knew deep in BGP for ROUTE.

What study materials do you have for BGP & Multicast?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    2014-02-05%2020_47_03-www.cisco.com_web_learning_exams_docs_642-885_spadvroute.pdf.png
    2014-02-05%2020_50_47-www.cisco.com_web_learning_exams_docs_642-885_spadvroute.pdf.png
    2014-02-05%2020_51_48-www.cisco.com_web_learning_exams_docs_642-885_spadvroute.pdf.png
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • neonmanneonman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies...

I work on a wide range of services over an MPLS network but mainly using ALU (Alcatel-Lucent) equipment. We still have some Cisco equipment but I would be using the ALU nodes day in day out configuring and designing L3 and L2 services such as VPRNs, VPLS, ELINE services.

ALU have their own Cert track but it isn't as well known so I would like to still get my CCNP SP cert.

I'm using CBT nuggets BGP course at the moment. I'm also using other Cisco books online using safarionline.com which is great.

Neon
    Safaribooks online is pretty amazing! I have free access through my local library card number. PRICELESS!

Did you say you have the ability to take the Global Knowledge courses for each test? You also mentioned that you would have to wait a wile for the SPADVROUTE class to become available?

What class is available the soonest?

I think you would be on the right track to go forward with SPADVROUTE as you just spent all of this time studying many of the same topics to pass ROUTE (Confederations, Route Reflectors, IPV6 Transition technologies, etc.)
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Yes I can take the courses with Global knowledge work will pay for them. SPCORE is available next then SPEDGE followed by SPADVROUTE. SPADVROUTE is available to me until August don't want to wait that long, I could just self study for it and do the exam.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am interested in this, but on the CCNA level first.

neonman - do you work for wireless? I work for one of the big 4 and your situation sounds familiar. We use a lot of ALU.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Hey Mike,

I have my CCNA Service Provider and you can see who I work for via my profile on here which has my linked in account.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Hi Mike,

No I work for an ISP in Ireland. We have 7750s, 7450s, BNG nodes. Design Retail, Wholesale services across the NGN MPLS network as well as Fiber Broadband and many more.

I'm thinking of doing some of the ALU certs as well mainly for my own day to day work and get the CCNP SP for my CV and greater knowledge of networking in general.