Question on exam changes and transitioning

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hi all,

I haven't been here in awhile, hope everyone is doing great!

Just a quick question on the CCNP track:

I am planning to take 642-618 exam soon to renew my CCNA certifications and tackle the CCNP Security track. Am I correct in reading that with the latest changes, as long as I pass 642-618 before April 21, 2014, it will qualify for CCNP Security without any other deadlines (other than the usual 3-year CCNP completion requirement).

In other words, is it correct that current 642-618 / 642-637 / 642-648 / 642-627 do not have expiry / eligibility deadline once obtained?

Thank you
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Yes, you are right. You can pass the current FIREWALL exam and do the other new ones while still getting a CCNP Security at the end with no problem. Like any other cert - if you pass the 3 new ones within 3 years, you are all right.

There are some other deadlines but they are for the even older versions of the exams but since they were retired some years ago, they have nothing to do with your situation.

Good luck!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I understand, there's a second deadline where the current exams can only be applied towards the NP Sec until the end of 2014.

Let me try to find the link and I'll edit the post.

[Update]
    No, I was incorrect. The Dec 31 deadline is for some other exams to be applicable. I'm not even sure what they are and don't have the inclination to look it up.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp_security/docs/migration.pdf
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    From what I understand the 31 December deadline is for people who have the exams that predate the current ones. If they want to achieve CCNP Security status, the deadline mentioned earlier applies. However, if you have passed one of the current exams, you can combine it with the new ones like usual(no deadlines except for the usual 3 years).
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent, thanks for your responses! I saw the Dec 31 date and wanted to make sure I'm not missing/misunderstanding something.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs