Hi everyone, I will be taking Sec+ test very soon

monarkmonark Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I must say this is a very informative forum and the feedback is amazing. I considered myself lucky to had stumbled across such a wealth of information that everyone shares so freely.

I will be taking the exam very soon. I have been using Darril's book, his suite that was purchased for 20 bucks (limited time), the exam cram, Professer Messor's videos, and reading the post on this forum.

I also have been contemplating purchasing Mike Meyer's Total Tester, as I had used his practice exams for my A+ and N+, but was wondering if there was any feedback that anyone may have about his Sec+ version. Also, if any other practice exam software vendor is recommended, I would more than welcome any suggestions.

Comments

• Security2014Security2014 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should be good to go as far as you studied the resources you had listed..I did pass sec+ today.. It will be easy once you know the concepts..
    Good luck!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I would use the objectives and make certain to be familiar with the items listed. sec+ has a bit of vocab, but as far as building better understanding of the material as a whole, get your hands on as much lab or live environment as possible. The exam is geared toward a candidate with experience, so the more you can practice using the hardware, commands and theory, the easier it will be for you during your exam.

If you need a more in depth coverage of the material, the Sybex text is the one I prefer. If you need a lighter review, then I would go with a crambook.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    You have the Gibson book, that is all you need! I promise you. Look at those "sample" Performance based simulations on his site, you will thank me on exam day. That is really/honestly the only resource you need. The exam is EASY, and (Plant) you do NOT need to know any commands or lab with anything, and I mean 0 for simulations or questions, You can learn commands/Lab for CCENT. The only way to fail, is to not have read the book!icon_study.gif

P.S. Till this day, I have NOT read the Exam Objectives before or after passing, I dont believe that book goes in order from 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 ->>> like the objectives But If you want to go for it. I just suggest going over chapters you dont have a strong understanding on. and the 443 and 80 20-21 22 23 25 53 137-139 yada yada yada
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dpsmooth15 wrote:
    The exam is EASY, and (Plant) you do ]NOT[need to know any commands or lab with anything, and I mean 0 for simulations or questions, You can learn commands/Lab for CCENT. The only way to fail, is to not have read the book!icon_study.gif

Spoken like a true paper cert candidate icon_rolleyes.gif

Why bother learning how to work with the tools of the trade from the beginning? Simply find a bank of Q&A and memorize them, another dangerous co-worker on the market.

If one is going to bother to invest the time to prep to take the CCENT and they want to begin with SEC+ why wait to learn how to apply the information in the field? the exam is recommended for a candidate WITH experience , not one who can read and memorize a bank of question or some pages in a cram book.

I am speaking for myself, I want quality applicants out in the market. I want to interview someone who can do the work, not merely repeat a few definitions. When a greenhorn is asking for recommendations, I would rather set them up with tools to be successful rather than grab up a few easy certs with the false confidence of being 'certified' and then adding to the long lines of unemployed cert holders who cannot understand why a company won't hire them when they hold 12 hot certs (with little experience or none at all).

The Cisco track which many seem to follow gets pretty tough. The newbie needs to learn how to prepare for exams from the beginning.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Spoken like a true paper cert candidate icon_rolleyes.gif

Why bother learning how to work with the tools of the trade from the beginning? Simply find a bank of Q&A and memorize them, another dangerous co-worker on the market.

If one is going to bother to invest the time to prep to take the CCENT and they want to begin with SEC+ why wait to learn how to apply the information in the field? the exam is recommended for a candidate WITH experience , not one who can read and memorize a bank of question or some pages in a cram book.

I am speaking for myself, I want quality applicants out in the market. I want to interview someone who can do the work, not merely repeat a few definitions. When a greenhorn is asking for recommendations, I would rather set them up with tools to be successful rather than grab up a few easy certs with the false confidence of being 'certified' and then adding to the long lines of unemployed cert holders who cannot understand why a company won't hire them when they hold 12 hot certs (with little experience or none at all).

The Cisco track which many seem to follow gets pretty tough. The newbie needs to learn how to prepare for exams from the beginning.

+1 on this. Cisco is not easy. Might as well learn some of the basics.
  • monarkmonark Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely take heed of them. I can understand the nature of your post, Plantwiz, and I agree, learning the material and application is priority as well as passing the test to receive certification. I am pretty thorough with my studies as I just not want to merely know enough to pass the exam, but to know it inside and out, so that I can fluidly do the work in a proficient competent level. I use multiple sources when I am studying that way I get a full spectrum of the information. There's a difference between being just certified because you got lucky with questions you happened to memorize and being knowledgable. With being knowledgeable, no matter what question is thrown in any manner, you will know which answer is correct and why and be able to fluidly understand why the others aren't the correct one.
  • monarkmonark Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering if anyone had any input as to the quality of Mike Meyer's 'Total Testers' / if anyone has ever used his practice exam software.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All I used was Darril's book and his testing package for $20. There are performance based questions so do look out for those! And I believe there is only 74 questions. Take your time with the exam and weed out the wrong answers and make sure you know your acronyms! Good luck! If I passed, you can definitely pass!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!