can i make use of this FXO gateway?

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I don't have any PVDMs but I have this FXO gateway pictured below.

Can I use this thing to connect to the PSTN or simulate connections to the PSTN? I'm afraid this gateway is only useful for connecting analog phones to an IP PBX...

It would be nice if I could offload transcoding to the FXO gateway. I'm confusing myself!

Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Well after mulling this over a bit, I think this thing can function pretty much like external FXO ports. Kinda like an external modem, but not a modem....FXO ports.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an FXO port that I have never touched. I'm curious how to integrate it to the PSTN but there is always learning that is required elsewhere and setting up a real PSTN connection through one is not a requirement.

Curious how hard would it be? I know simply connecting an RJ-11 cable won't give me access to the PSTN. Might be fast work around towards a PSTN simulator when I can call my own cell or friends and dial 911 for real. icon_wink.gif
    I'm still learning this stuff so hopefully someone will jump in if I am wrong: I think FXO ports are meant to connect analog devices (fax machine, old phones, etc) to your voice gateway/router. FXS ports connect to the PSTN.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FXS is meant for endpoint analog devices. I configured an analog phone on an FXS port. For FXS it's just configuring dial-peers and the correct port command.

FXO is outside so to speak and that's what I too am curious about the complexity of the config.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    an FXO port just opens up a connection to you and the PSTN. You tell it what line to ring on once its inside. The config is pretty simple. Now much you can do with them, but they are valuable when you just need a few backup lines.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Thanks for the correction. I need to beat that into my head icon_study.gif
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    At home I always use the picture that the wall jack is the FXS [foreign exchange station]. It provides dial tone. FXO [foreign exchange office] is the device that does the on hook/off hook signaling [pickup the handset ].
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    fxO=Office (Connect to Central Office)
    fxS=Station(connection to Station"fax, phone,modem")
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related