Taking exams at colleges

ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm signing up to take CCNA security at the end of this month. But there are only like 2 ~ 3 testing centers and dozens of community colleges that proctor certification exams around me.

What has been your experience with taking certification exams at colleges and universities, as opposed to designated testing centers such as New Horizon or what not? I've never taken certification exam from anywhere but a testing center, and I'm afraid that taking test at a college might be distracting or less equipped. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you're just paranoid. Either way it will just be a room with computers.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The CC in my area is great for taking tests, bit of a maze to find where I needed to go when I took a test there once.

For some reason when I took my GIAC G2700 test the proctor took me into another room with a laptop but I think that was to give me room for my books and stuff. What really made me feel awkward was she sat across from me during the test doing stuff on her laptop. Not like down the row a bit, directly in front of me.

Reason I don't test there much is that they don't proctor tests on Saturdays like my usual testing center does.
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took my Sec+ at the local community college. It was exactly the same setup as the local New Horizons location.
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll give it a try. I signed up for a community college that it's pretty close by.
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't believe that one can make blanket statements about either. It all depends on the specific locations. In the end its really about you and the computer for an hour or three. Getting there can be interesting though. Parking was the biggest difference for me. I don't like walking, arthritis in my feet, so I want to park close. I had the worst time parking at one location, long walk, and I had to pay for the spot. Another place I could park right outside the door.

The people behind the desk can make for a pleasing experience. I had a nice chat with one guy at a New Horizons test center after my test. When I had to schedule and take my next exam he remembered who I was and got everything in order real quick and professionally. At another place they were really disorganized and it seemed like everyone was still in training.

If it concerns you that much then do some research on the locations. Find some maps if things like parking concerns you, I will for my future exams.
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would prefer to take my tests at my local CC but like I said the no Saturdays and the school not offering testing on a lot of days near holidays or whatever is why I don't. A couple of testing centers I tolerate only because of the Saturday offerings though, one I refuse to go to because it was just a terrible place to test, not nice at all.
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I think you're just paranoid. Either way it will just be a room with computers.

…..well no need for me to reply, thats basically along the lines of what I was going to say.
    I will test with whoever has the day and time I am looking for, I will spend no longer than 5 minutes at the desk taking a picture and signing my name with some John/ Jane, They give me a laminated sheet, and a dry erase marker. The rest does not matter. The only difference is the computer that came out in 1997 or 1999. They both will be silent, except the for few opening and closing of doors. thats all that matters.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've done dedicated Prometric centers as well as the College/Community Center type of place. Although the latter may be more informal, once you enter the testing area it's all the same. I've read of some places being ****, dirty and noisy, but have never come across any.
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »
    …..well no need for me to reply, thats basically along the lines of what I was going to say.
    I will test with whoever has the day and time I am looking for, I will spend no longer than 5 minutes at the desk taking a picture and signing my name with some John/ Jane, They give me a laminated sheet, and a dry erase marker. The rest does not matter. The only difference is the computer that came out in 1997 or 1999. They both will be silent, except the for few opening and closing of doors. thats all that matters.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I've done dedicated Prometric centers as well as the College/Community Center type of place. Although the latter may be more informal, once you enter the testing area it's all the same. I've read of some places being ****, dirty and noisy, but have never come across any.

Yeah, I was asking because I've read some horror stories like that. I was just wondering if I was going to hear colleges being noisy and what not, but after reading the replies, I realized that may not be the case and it depends merely on the specific location. I wonder what I could do though if the testing center I go to ends up being one of the bad one, and I fail because it's loud or computer fails or there is some type of clerical error (or all of the above lol.)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just relax and take your exam and you will be fine. No need to stress yourself over this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.