What are your favorite PC troubleshooting tools?

MoabMoab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was asked how did I learn to troubleshoot a PC, and what steps do I take. Maybe I’ve done it for so long it's like riding a bike; I just know what to look for please comment on your favorite steps or procedures.
I use a Linux live CD a couple of thumb drives a few DOS commands and a backup power supply, and Google to do about 95% of my troubleshooting.

Comments

• BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    In the workplace google.. I spend a lot of time researching fixes on google.

For friends Ccleaner and anti malware bytes seem to be the main go to tools when Troubleshooting issues.
  • bloodmagexdbloodmagexd Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well for me, it's event viewer or any kind of logs. If that fails, I'll use google which usually solves most of my problems.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well for me, it's event viewer or any kind of logs. If that fails, I'll use google which usually solves most of my problems.
    I second the Event Viewer. I rely on it constantly at work. I guess it depends on what you're doing though.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When in doubt, hit it with a bigger hammer :)
  • anataronikanataronik Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use hiren bootcd, I would recommend it to everyone.
    I have a bootable usb stick with hirenbootcd, thats all I need when I go to customers for pc troubleshooting.
  • Steve202Steve202 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like to test for hardware issues first before looking at a software fix (unless its a virus infection). First I test the memory and hard drive for errors, if both of these pass, I give the motherboard and other components a visual check. After I've done this, I'll start looking at software and what could be causing the issue.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My favorite? Easy, it's got to be ping... Where would you be without ping? Stuck in the mud, that's where!

As for other tools, BartPE, increasingly Windows-8-To-Go, netstat, chkdsk, event viewer, Memtest86+ and maybe a few others that don't immediately come to mind. What order I troubleshoot would depend on the problem..
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as a PC goes, ERDCommander, Hirens, R2D2, event viewer, chkdsk/r.. etc. I guess it just depends what your trying to do. As far as networking goes, debug commands, angry IP scanner, Brocade Ironview, tftp32, gns3, etc.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Credit Card ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    -Ping, telnet, Wireshark & tracert for network issues
    -Event viewer, Task Manager & Resource Monitor for general issues
    -Process Explorer & other Sys Internals tools for difficult Windows OS issues
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anataronik wrote: »
    I use hiren bootcd, I would recommend it to everyone.
    I have a bootable usb stick with hirenbootcd, thats all I need when I go to customers for pc troubleshooting.

+1 on Hiren's boot utility. Love the Mini XP and the tools it comes with. Life saver
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If its a windows problem pop in a Linux cd hit install problem resolved :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Eventcombmt.exe and lockoutstatus.exe
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417