Options

Network issue

dj_kenshindj_kenshin Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
We have an issue at the office that I'm trying to get resolved.

Right now at our office we just placed a new office and it is attached to our network. The network had room in the switch, the patch panel looks to be done right. Ran a test for diagnostics and it passed. However, when i connect a computer to it from the new office, the NIC on the PC is unable to connect. It flashes 5 times and then it shuts off since it was unable to connect. Next, I placed a 5 port switch next to the computer and then plugged it into the NIC and it was working fine. Can anyone help with an explanation for this?

Comments

• Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Check the cables. Verify ports plugged in and on switch it is not admin down.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What is the switch showing you (assuming you can login and take a look)? Could be numerous things.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    Is the port on the switch in an In Service and UP state?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some things that come to mind to check for:
    -Duplex settings on the switch need to be compatible with the computer
    -Switch port needs to be active/up
    -Are you doing any authentication on the switch?
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^Agreed. I would check the duplex settings. I've even had to hard code the speed sometimes on the switch from some funky NICS. Does the switch give you a duplex mismatch log? Port flapping? Cable issue?
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    dj_kenshin wrote: »
    We have an issue at the office that I'm trying to get resolved.

Right now at our office we just placed a new office and it is attached to our network. The network had room in the switch, the patch panel looks to be done right. Ran a test for diagnostics and it passed. However, when i connect a computer to it from the new office, the NIC on the PC is unable to connect. It flashes 5 times and then it shuts off since it was unable to connect. Next, I placed a 5 port switch next to the computer and then plugged it into the NIC and it was working fine. Can anyone help with an explanation for this?

Based on the fact that if you plug in a switch and then plug in the computer to the switch and it works then it is not cabling. Duplex is a possibility, if the port is hard set to a gig and your 5 port switch has a gig-uplink and 10/100 ports and your NIC is 10/100, this could explain that phenomenon. The other possibility is that the switch is set to rSTP link type point to point which would mean that the only thing it will allow on the other end of that link is another switch - though this is a bit of a stretch. I would also check to see if there is any layer-2 authentication switched on that port, that can have some funky symptoms.