Should I study a CCDA/CCDP ?

samym.adlysamym.adly Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm CCNP R&S certified, should I study the CCDA/CCDP ? will the CCDA/CCDP add value to my CCNP and get me a better job ?

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Generally, it will add value but you need to give a little more detail. There is no universal solution to questions like that. Since you have CCNP, getting a CCDP will be nice. However, I think the design track is something more advanced and not for people who have limited experience. So, how much experience do you have? What do you currently work as? What kind of job do you want to get? The answer to these will pretty much determine if it will be a beneficial next step or not.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • samym.adlysamym.adly Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked in a basic support job barely using my CCNA knowledge. Now,I'm jobless and finished my CCNP, looking forward to my next step.
    I want to be the best in what I do, that's how I can answer " what kind of job are you looking for ?" , so I guess I should study design to enhance my knowledge in networks
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    In that case, I don't think doing CCDP will be best here. It is praiseworthy that you want to advance but since you were't using your CCNA skills, in my opinion, you should hold out on the CCDP. Certifications without experience to back them up will not get you a job. Unfortunately, they can hurt in some cases because some hiring managers can have higher expectations when looking at your certs. The best option is to go for the design track after some CCNP level experience. This is when you will get the most of it. Yes, you can probably pass the exam before that but in order to really learn to create network design solutions, you must first have enough network experience.

If I were you, I would polish the resume and focus on finding a network/system admin kind of job right now. An effort towards that will be better than one focused on CCDP as it is questionable how useful it will be in the job hunt. After that, by all means, go for CCDA/CCDP.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    I say you polish the resume and look for a job WHILE you study for your next certification. What are you suppose to do with all your free time?
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    I appreciate your point, but IMO a paper CCNP would be far better served just simply labbing like mad.

There comes a certain level of expectation with a CCNP, and regardless of how well studied you are, if you don't have real life experience/exposure it will be plain as the nose on your face, so just do as much hands on as possible, esp. using complex topologies (real life you almost never get those nice simple CCNP exam scenarios laid out neatly for you).

And with a CCNP you will get a network job. Just a matter of time.

By all means study whatever you want but I wouldn't focus on the design track. You have far too little hands on / exposure to even begin designing. A good designer is almost always a good engineer first. Nobody will hire you as a designer since you have zero track record.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Probably better ROI on studying TCP/IP fundamentals and operational stuff like being really strong on OSPF and other common protocols. Those are things you would likely to be asked about in interviews; not how to design a data center.
  • maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    May be when your CCNP s/r is about to be expired, and you want to recertify I would prefer to do CCDP exam and get a new certificate with the recertification of my CCNP s/r.