Just passed MCSA, is MCSE my next best upgrade cert?

RìpshotRìpshot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I find the microsoft upgrade path and tests to be a bit convoluted. I want to stay within the realm of enterprise desktop support for Win 7.After MCSA (680/685), is there anything else I can follow up with? Is MCSE my next cert path?

This should probably go in Win7 General....sorry!icon_cry.gif

Comments

• rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on passing :)

i am also looking to get my MCSA in windows 7, what books did you use???
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass. If you want to get into servers then the MCSE is definitely the way to go. However, you will need to first get an MCSA in server technology first. The desktop path does not lead to the engineering path any longer. Since you state you want to stay in desktop support you might go for some of the other certifications that are in that vein. They are not all from Microsoft. You might want to check out http://www.thinkhdi.com/certification/professional/courses.aspx I personally do not have these certs nor can I vouch for how well recognized they are in the industry. I do know some people that have them and they seem to be meaningful to them. I am honestly more server based and have always intended to go that direction. The great thing about the IT field is that there are so many paths to take. I hope this helps in some way.

Also - almost forgot to mention that ITILv3 Foundations certification is growing in demand and popularity among employers. It isn't strictly technical but it covers a framework and terminology useful in IT organizations. It isn't difficult and I do believe this exam to have significant ROI when looking for jobs or promotions but you mileage may vary. It really depends on how much the organization values it. But then again, isn't that true for any certification?

Good Luck and congrats again
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To proceed down the Microsoft path, you would first need MCSA: Server 2008 or MCSA: Server 2012. Then you would go for MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure.

If you're done with Microsoft at this point, you may want to look into Linux administration.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • RìpshotRìpshot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rht, I read notes from a friend who had Don Poultons 70-680 ebook, watched Professors youtube, and practiced using a test sim just to get the wording of how the questions would be asked.
    Nice info, I'll look at what ITILv3 has to offer and get some feedback from my org.

MCSE:Desktop Infratructre that's what I was hoping was available after MCSA server.

I'll start reading more on these subjects, thanks again!
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I might have misunderstood which certs you already have. You can definitely go the 70-415 and 70-416 route for further desktop support options. You do need the MCSA: Server 2012 first to get the certification (theoretically, no reason you really have to take them first, you just don't get the MCSE until you do). The 680 and 685 do not lead to that path unfortunately.
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Ripshot thx for the reply, i will be ordering Don Poultons book too but what test sim did you use?
  • ClearwatermsClearwaterms Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest that you look into Citrix. Citrix's VDI solution (XenDesktop) is very popular in the industry.

It would also be a good idea of where you think that you want to take your career beyond where you are today? Potentially the CCENT from Cisco? It is designed to show that somebody has enough Cisco experience to be able to properly deploy a small branch office, it will also help you learn things like IPv4 subnetting, IPv6 subnetting, VLANs, etc.
    MSSoftie
    I might have misunderstood which certs you already have. You can definitely go the 70-415 and 70-416 route for further desktop support options.
    Thanks, I'll check out some study material and do some research.
    rht
    Hey Ripshot thx for the reply, i will be ordering Don Poultons book too but what test sim did you use?
    Sent you a PM.
    Clearwaterms
    I would suggest that you look into Citrix. Citrix's VDI solution (XenDesktop) is very popular in the industry.
    Yeah, I was thinking about Citrix, at my current job thats how we run most of our applications, virtually from an app server and the users use a pointer on our internal portal page. CCENT/CCNA would be a nice touch I believe, I have a strong network background from experience but it isnt really applicable in my current help desk role. Still wouldn't hurt to have though, just so I could atleast get a nod for some networking position that may become available here in the future.

Thanks again all.