Options

Add-on programs

This is a question for all the current Network Admins:

I read as many magzaines as I can on IT (Network Computing, Windows IT Pro, Redmond, TechNet etc...) and what I would like to ask is this:

Do any of you Admins ever use these add-on programs that are advertised or written about? Things such as:

GFi Network Server Monitor? NetOp Remote Control? AD Managers? Exchange monitors? or iHateSpam for Exchange from Sunbelt Software? Etc...

I just see so many of them and was thinking how much space it would use up and how it could bog down the system...it just seems like a lot of add-ons exist to do everything for you... icon_rolleyes.gif

Just curious.

Thanks!
Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm, the only Add-On program I use is Symantec Mail Security for Exchange. For Server and Network monitoring I just use the built in stuff on 2003. Mostly due to the company not wanting to spend money on that sort of stuff.

The Symantec Mail Security uses a lot of system resources and took a bit to configure it. But this was for the exchange server which is a nice hefty machine to begin with so it's okay.