Have you taken the exam? i have a question.

rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
So i am studying for the Network+ exam and i am using CompTIA Network+N10-005 Authorized Exam Cram and Mike Meyers Network+ book. The problem is that one book lists all the switches related to the commands and the other book does not go into details listing only a few of them. The question is should i memorize all those complicated switches or just for the common commands like ipconfig and ping???

Thanks

Comments

• unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't remember having any questions like whether I should run a command with this switch or that switch, just generic questions like what commands are used for what. That doesn't mean that they aren't in the test bank though. If you did want to memorize some of the switches I would start with the basic ones like /FlushDNS and /release and /renew. In my experience, the Exam Cram questions were very, very similar to what was on the actual test. I will tell you, and I hope this isn't breaking any rules, that some of the switches came in very handy for a couple of the performance based questions.

It's never a bad thing to learn the switches because you'll use them quite a bit in real world scenarios.
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Which is a better book to pass the exam AND gain overall knowledge about Network, the Exam Cram or the Mike Meyers book? I would like to buy one book only then supplement with the online videos.
  • cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used just the Meyers book and did pretty well on the exam. I still use it as a reference for networking issues every now and then.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SixtyCycle: I would recommend the Mike Meyers book, it is easier to follow and does a good job at explaining the networking concepts if you are new to networking like me. The Exam cram is also a good book but i feel its targeted towards people who are already familiar with networking and the terminology. However the Exam Cram does come with 2 exams that feel similar to Comptia style of questions. your choice :)

unfbilly11: I see you got both your A+ and Network+ what are you studying now if i may ask? i am thinking of skipping security+ for MS 70-680.
  • CannibalpriestCannibalpriest Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    Which is a better book to pass the exam AND gain overall knowledge about Network, the Exam Cram or the Mike Meyers book? I would like to buy one book only then supplement with the online videos.

The Exam Cram book is better if you already have a lot of knowledge on the subject. It just goes over everything, but not into too much detail. If you really wanted to study and get information completely I'd go with the Mike Meyers book the the Professor Messer videos. Personally I mainly used videos but I purchased the bundle from TestOut.

To the OP, I personally got maybe one question that asked about the switches for a command but you're better off learning them anyways because you will need them in a real environment.
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rht wrote: »

unfbilly11: I see you got both your A+ and Network+ what are you studying now if i may ask? i am thinking of skipping security+ for MS 70-680.

I stopped the CompTIA path because my job wanted me to go into Microsoft. If it were completely up to me, I would've gotten the Sec + and then moved on to Cisco. They are paying for everything though so I figured I would gain Microsoft knowledge until I was in a better place to go the direction I wanted. I'd say the certifications that you get should closely follow any current or potential job requirements. If you want a job in desktop support at a Microsoft Partner company, I think the MCSA will help you more than the Sec+.
    yes i am aiming for a helpdsk or support job. i think ill go for mcsa windows 7 then come back to sec+ because the exam is just expensive and i am not sure how beneficial it is for me.
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    yes i am aiming for a helpdsk or support job. i think ill go for mcsa windows 7 then come back to sec+ because the exam is just expensive and i am not sure how beneficial it is for me.
    Correct me if im wrong, MS no longer offers MCSA Windows 7 680 exam. I positive that the exam now covers Windows 8
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
    DonM34: MS has not lifted support for Windows 7 in fact i don't think it will happen any time soon, therefore MCSA windows 7 is still available 70-680 70-685 and 70-686. You could choose to have either MCSA windows 7 or 8. I will go for windows 7 because i just cant stand that metro interface!!! crash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So i am studying for the Network+ exam and i am using CompTIA Network+N10-005 Authorized Exam Cram and Mike Meyers Network+ book. The problem is that one book lists all the switches related to the commands and the other book does not go into details listing only a few of them. The question is should i memorize all those complicated switches or just for the common commands like ipconfig and ping???

Thanks

I'm also going to be dwelling upon what the guys have been advising, like the guys have said the commands that you should focus on primarily for the exam are the basic commands but not necessarily relating to specific devices like a switch or a router although its a good practice to study them, if you are curious about what you will come across in the exam you can print a copy of the Exam Objectives. I used the CBT nuggets and the Prof Messer's free videos on Youtube and a study guide that worked for me and I would also recommend that you use the Mike Meyer's book as a study guide and use the exam cram towards the preparation of the exam. Good luck!!!

Hope this helps.