net+test

scotyscoty Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
getting ready for the net + test this week. anybody out there get their training through new horizons? I'm wondering how their training actually matches up to the actual test? Is the test adaptive like the A+ or is it straight question and answer?

Comments

• jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The test is linear not adaptive
    72 questions, 90 minutes, passing score 646 on a scale 100-900
  • The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea also when I did take the test there was a large number of token ring questions. Not a Ton but more then I expected from what my books have told me. Also be ready to do troubleshooting scernos also. The test was riddled in them. Example it was something simalr and like this. Workstation A can guess Server A but Workstation B cant access Server B and it shows a picture. Then it shows the devices involed. You pratace the 8 steps of network+ troubleshooting like.

1.Estabhlished the syntomes. Example is a workstation cant commucate to the server. If the Workstation is on another subnet for this example.
    2. Idenifty the affected areas. Is it just that subnet or that computer or the whole network. This scenro is rather basic but if there was more on the subnet of where that workstation is. If they are all not working you might want to check their Gateway sittings. But if its just one computer then u have idenified the affected area.
    3. Estabhlished what has changed. Basillcy compare the 2 subnets to their counterparts like is the subnet of workstation B have the correct gateway etc. Remember Gateways allow commcuation beyond its own subnet and if the Server is on a diffent subnet then it can't commucate with the serverthen.
    4. Select a Probable cause. We just did that above it might be the fact its gateway setting is either blank or incorrect.
    5.Implement the soultion. Which would be to correct the gateway setting on workstation B
    6.Test it. frankly speaking thats just to try to commcuate with Server A and if your able to then the soultion u have implemented was sucessful.
    7. Recongize what poteneral effects it may have. Well in this case none but on other things like replacing hardware etc. Or upgrades if one of the problems if the scenro was diffent like more workstations are added and the baudwidth is lowered, then you might want to upgrade nic cards and cable pending on the need. Like if a network was using a existing 2base10 cabling aka thinnet. More workstations you have the more baudwidth that is used. At some point u might want to consider upgrading to 100baseTX networks. Of course regoncize the potneral diffences already. All Workstations will need either upgraded network cards or routers or hubs that allow diffent connections to be conntected. However id perfer if cost wasnt a issue to just upgrade all of them to Cat 5 or cat 5e so you can expand to Ethergigabit later on if the need is reqired. So yea.
    8.Documention of the soultion and the occured problem. Thats writing down the problem with what and what you did to fix it. This can be useful if it happens again u have a record what had to be done also if u leave it helps the person replacing u to understand the history of the network and viable soultions to fixing it.

So there ya go Good luck man:)
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was suprised at the number of Token Ring questions I had.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I was suprised at the number of Token Ring questions I had.
    Does the exam at least acknowedge that Token Ring can operate at 100Mbps and not just 4- and 16Mbbs like most of the practice exams would have you believe?

MAU MAU MAU!!

(A Token Ring concentrator or a cat with a hair lip? You decide!)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Does the exam at least acknowedge that Token Ring can operate at 100Mbps and not just 4- and 16Mbbs like most of the practice exams would have you believe?

I don't think so... traditional standard Token Ring is 4 or 16... only High-Speed Token Ring (HSTR) runs at 100...
    Yea i was surpized to on how many token ring questions on there also. It was odd all the training materals i had were telling me to expect more ethernet. Im glad i love the field im studying and workin in. :)
  • scotyscoty Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just passed with an 833. I had 5 token ring questions but only 1 delt with speed and none acknowleged that you could have 100mbs. must have been at least 8 questions on the osi. the question I have is that i was taught that the session layer is responsible for establishing maintaining and ending a connection but the exam cram book states that it is the transport layer that is responsible
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    scoty wrote:
    just passed with an 833. I had 5 token ring questions but only 1 delt with speed and none acknowleged that you could have 100mbs. must have been at least 8 questions on the osi. the question I have is that i was taught that the session layer is responsible for establishing maintaining and ending a connection but the exam cram book states that it is the transport layer that is responsible

I had the same type of token ring questions. Mostly involved trouble shooting.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    well done with the pass.

the thing i tried to remember, especially with a+, was that the technologies required to know were the ones that were widespread at the time the objectives were published. i remember worrying about getting questions on p4 systems, when the objectives barely even acknowledged the existance of p3 processors! i stopped reading up on new developments in computing after a month of a+ study incase i got confused.

for network+ study, i just stuck the objectives. anything my exam-specific book did not cover in the detail i felt was necessary to learn something was referenced in forums, the net or my non-exam-specific books.
    A+ Moderator
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulatons scoty!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    I'm looking toward the security + next but after reading some of the forums I'm gettin a little nervous. not sure if this old man can handle it.I'm on the MCSA track and figured that secuirty would be a good addition.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Security is an all-inclusive concept in IT. Everyone wants their systems or data protected from something. All of these really great data storage handling technologies exist, and will be improved upon, but that data is the company's bread and butter. It represents wealth and consequently it needs protected.

For that reason it will be necessary(if not already necessary) for every tech to have skills in security.

Now, all of the forums talk about how difficult Sec+ exam is. Don't see that as any reason not to pursue it and the experience to match it. Security cert alone will not likely mean too much at present, but in the future(especially if you have any experience) it will mean a lot--like "job+" security for those who know it.

Best of luck as you decide.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, don't let the posts scare you, just make 'm count as a warning that this exam should not be underestimated, and it differs a bit from the other CompTIA exams.
  • zeekabalzeekabal Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    scoty wrote:

I am still learning myself but I believe this is because the Session Layer is responsible for establishing, maintaining and breaking the session between the two applications on seperate devices, whereas the Transport Layer is responsable for the connection between the two devices themselves. You may be getting the terms session and connection mixed up.

You passed though so all is well, Congrats!
  • hoop__it__uphoop__it__up Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    y0 scotty u said u been trained by new horizon , they called me 3 times already to come to their lecture and on the phone they wont tell me anything so do u know how much the courses were and do they actually find u a job after 3months they also said that A+ and Net+ wont get me anywhere cuz they r expected from every1 and when i said that i am studying for CCNA he said it won't get me the job since employers look 4 experience
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I've never used new horizons for a cert, but I had some macintosh training through them for work. It was pretty good, and the instructor said that they have a pass gaurentee. If you pass their class, and then fail the exam, they will retrain you, and then give you a free retry on the exam. If they back it up with that kind of gaurentee, then it has to be good.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
    new horizons told me that they don't have any type of job placement. but they guarantee a pass on certs of they will retrain you. I not sure of the cost because I went through state and federal retraining programs (taa) due to the loss of my regular job I do know that their security training only cover about 70% of whats needed for the test.