VCP550 Questions

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I have a few questions regarding the VCP550 exam.

1. I took the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1] back in January 2013. Is this still valid get approval to take the exam? Do these expire?

2. What books/training do you guys suggest to catch up to the 550 material?

3. Is the VCP550 exam similar at all the to Microsoft Hyper-V exam? I guess I'm wondering if they both cover similar generic virtualization material.

Thanks!
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

Another question; I was told that PowerCLI and the Linux CLI are similar. I need to take the Linux+ certification soon for school. Would it be helpful at all to do that before focusing on the VCP550? Additionally, are there CLI questions on the VCP550 exam? I've been using VMware ESXi, vSphere and View/Horizon for just over a year now on a daily basis so it's about time I get certified. I haven't used the command line a whole lot though.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
  • BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PowerCLI is based on PowerShell and is pretty easy to pick up due to the noun-verb syntax and pipelines. There are also vCLI commands which are different.

Make sure you download the exam blueprint and go through it in detail to find out what is fair game for showing up on on the exam.
    VMware Training

I didn't study the CLI that much when I originally wrote the 5.1 version and I did fine but I would suggest at least attempting to take a couple hours to get familiar with PowerCLI, ESXCLI commands and the VMA. Know the different command line options and some of the core commands (you don't need to memorize cmd parameters).

You might want to check this out to get up to speed with the cmd options in VMware.
    http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-51-command-line-interface-getting-started-guide.pdf
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you know 5.1 just book the VCP510 exam - it's generic across 5.0/5.1

You'll still earn the same VCP5-DCV certification and you won't need to study anything specific to 5.5
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    scott28tt wrote: »
    If you know 5.1 just book the VCP510 exam - it's generic across 5.0/5.1

You'll still earn the same VCP5-DCV certification and you won't need to study anything specific to 5.5

I thought about that, but I feel like I don't have a very deep understanding of vSphere so I want to go through all the training material anyway. So I thought I might as well go for the VCP550 exam.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I retrained myself to take the VCP550 as it came out just as I was going to do the VCP510, My thinking was that it gave me enough reason to actually learn the changes in 5.5 than to pass it off as I would have already had a vcp5 cert. Also, if I apply for a job, 5.5 will probably look better as being the current.

It's entirely up to you with what you feel comfortable with. Just remember there are more questions in VCP550 - So it will most likely be a lot more in depth and wider scope.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com