?s About Windows Image Deployment

ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
My employer has over 100 XP computers that will need to be replaced/upgraded to 7 due to HIPAA requirements. Many of the computers came with 7, but were downgraded to XP. I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to image/upgrade them all to 7.

Some of my ?s:
1) The desktops and laptops came with HP/Fujitsu product key stickers for 7 Pro. If I create an image, can I use those keys after the install is complete?

2) Which software to use? I was looking at MDT. I'm only familiar with the manual way which is not an option due to the large number of computers and short time frame. I also don't make the final decision when it comes to IT dept purchases.

My boss told me last week and April is fast approaching so any suggestions or help you pros out there would be great.
Thanks
:lol:

Comments

• JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I would look into a network server setup to do this. You can use a Linux FOG server, Ghost servers, or I think Windows includes a imagex image solution now? Its been a few years since I have done this, but google the above and you should find something suitable for you. I am not sure on the windows keys question, when I did this before we had a corporate license key i think and used it for the image server.

J
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can use WDS or MDT 2013 or something like Acronis (contact them and see how much it will be). WDS or MDT is not as straight-forward as Acronis for me though.

Create a base image with everything you need on the computer but don't activate it, Sysprep it, then take an image for WDS, MDT or Acronis. Then deploy and enter each key after it has been cloned. It depends on what your budget is and how long you've got to learn this. Acronis has a quick learning curve but you pay for it, WDS & MDT 2013 have a steep learning curve but it's free.

Don't forget CBT Nuggets have a course you could go through as well...

Migrating Windows XP to Windows 7 and/or 8: An Accelerated Guide Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets

And 70-415 has alot to do with deployment as well..

Microsoft 70-415 MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MVA has a decent video course on migtating XP to 7 as well..

Microsoft Virtual Academy
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tell them to lay down some funds and get yourself a Server setup with SCCM 2012 you wont go back :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Tell them to lay down some funds and get yourself a Server setup with SCCM 2012 you wont go back :)

That would be nice :) Right now I'm using MDT and have 2 PCs upgrading to 7 over the network share. Just testing it out to see how it works. I was able to add the drivers to the deployment share, but I couldn't figure out how to add applications. The command line silent install command is needed and it was too unclear as to which one to try.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That would be nice :) Right now I'm using MDT and have 2 PCs upgrading to 7 over the network share. Just testing it out to see how it works. I was able to add the drivers to the deployment share, but I couldn't figure out how to add applications. The command line silent install command is needed and it was too unclear as to which one to try.

If possible, put your imaging setup on a different vlan for the sake of broadcasts.
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    What I was doing worked. It copied the user profiles which was nice. Downside is I would have to install all the applications again. I want to test this next:

Use a clean install with all the software and windows updates we need as a reference computer.
    Sysprep and capture that image and import it into MDT.
    Use that image and while installing, backup/copy user files and data to restore those after the install.

It sounds like it'll make the process simple after the initial lite touch.