IT Pranks

TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in a IT class in high school and we use Labsim for our A+ training. We have a computer lab, and I wanted to know some pranks I could pull on my friends. Some pranks I have administered or received are changed passwords, changed backgrounds, shortcuts to shutdown.exe, and Remote Desktop Connectio to force log off and change account settings. I was wondering what are some pranks I could do to my fellow class mates when not studying.

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do a lot with RDP and SSH if you have some time. If you get access to their machine, it's always fun to screenshot their desktop, replace the background with the screenshot, and hide all their icons. That's a classic...

If you ever get somewhere where they use CACs or other smart-card-based PKI, a piece of clear tape on the back will often prevent it from reading.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used to use Psexec to kill my roommate's game executable back in the day if we were playing games and he was winning. Not that I'm a sore loser; it just amused me.

I love to write a batch script that calls itself recursively with no stop condition. It doesn't even need to do anything, though that makes it even better. Drop it in startup and wait till the reboot for the fun. If it's someone particularly unsavvy, don't have it call itself, but have it change a desktop background or open a web page or program on every startup. That's good, too. Be sure to hide the background image and have the script copy it to the path to which it points the file so the victim can't delete it.

There's always the classic of plugging a wireless mouse in and moving their cursor randomly.

And never, ever forget Shift + Alt + arrows rotate screen (where supported).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depending on the network setup you can remotely shutdown your friends computers with shutdown /m and do it with a time-out period with /t
    There is also a way to open and close cd-rom drives over the network but I can't remember how.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I got my a co-worker's computer and started his messenger service. When he got back, I sent a message to his computer in the cmd prompt saying "I need to see you in my office. -Deb". He walked into our boss's office wondering what she wanted. They quickly figured out it was me messing with him :)

Edit: Another one I remember doing. Plug in a wireless mouse receiver into the back of their computer. Don't overdo it, but slightly move the mouse every minute or so and watch them wonder what is wrong with their mouse.
    :lol:
  • nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TByrd450 wrote: »
    I am in a IT class in high school and we use Labsim for our A+ training. We have a computer lab, and I wanted to know some pranks I could pull on my friends. Some pranks I have administered or received are changed passwords, changed backgrounds, shortcuts to shutdown.exe, and Remote Desktop Connectio to force log off and change account settings. I was wondering what are some pranks I could do to my fellow class mates when not studying.

This is a good one. Press and hold ctrl + alt + the up or down arrow buttons and at the same time. The screen display will rotate. Repeat the step to correct the problem.

icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    At one job we used to take a screenshot of their current desktop and then make that their background while hiding the desktop icons. It never got old watching them trying to click on the pictures. At that same job we ran a wireless keyboard off of our bosses computer and would randomly hit ctrl, alt, delete and lock it on him. He was pretty close to pulling out his hair.
    WGU grad
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I used to use Psexec to kill my roommate's game executable back in the day if we were playing games and he was winning. Not that I'm a sore loser; it just amused me.

I love to write a batch script that calls itself recursively with no stop condition. It doesn't even need to do anything, though that makes it even better. Drop it in startup and wait till the reboot for the fun. If it's someone particularly unsavvy, don't have it call itself, but have it change a desktop background or open a web page or program on every startup. That's good, too. Be sure to hide the background image and have the script copy it to the path to which it points the file so the victim can't delete it.

There's always the classic of plugging a wireless mouse in and moving their cursor randomly.

And never, ever forget Shift + Alt + arrows rotate screen (where supported).
    And when they say WTF, you can always suggest they turn their monitors upside down. :D
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Pop up the keys on a keyboard and switch them around. I did this to someone using an identical keyboard (so I could put his normal one back right away afterwards) and he put his password in wrong a few times before he had noticed. "Who gave me this polish keyboard?!?!" was what he yelled out.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    You can do a lot with RDP and SSH if you have some time. If you get access to their machine, it's always fun to screenshot their desktop, replace the background with the screenshot, and hide all their icons. That's a classic...

A variation of that is to put an error message in their wallpaper then watch them try to click OK.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At my first IT job I first came across Psexec

So i wrote a script that would take a user name or PC name. unmute there speakers and turn it up to 100% and then play "THE COMPUTER SAYS NO!" on a loop in a hidden window.

Was great in the end i could run it and have a list of names, press the number next to the name and off it went. great for when a user came in asking them for help, and watch them scrabbling for the mute/volume key.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    At one job we used to take a screenshot of their current desktop and then make that their background while hiding the desktop icons. It never got old watching them trying to click on the pictures. At that same job we ran a wireless keyboard off of our bosses computer and would randomly hit ctrl, alt, delete and lock it on him. He was pretty close to pulling out his hair.

oh yes psexec, copy batch script over and run it that locks the screen every 5 minutes, run and watch :)

Psexec is the most fun tool if you have access rights. I sure powershell can be just as much fun if you know it well.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    At my first IT job I first came across Psexec

So i wrote a script that would take a user name or PC name. unmute there speakers and turn it up to 100% and then play "THE COMPUTER SAYS NO!" on a loop in a hidden window.

Was great in the end i could run it and have a list of names, press the number next to the name and off it went. great for when a user came in asking them for help, and watch them scrabbling for the mute/volume key.

That sounds awesome. Do you know the script used. I'm abou to take my A+ soon and I don't know how to write scripts or do anything you described. Could you please go in greater detail
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    shutdown.exe /L in the Startup menu
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a huge fan of switching the "N" and "M" keys. Subtle, but fun. You need patience with this one, but it's definitely rewarding.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I almost forgot about psexec, used to have a lot of fun with that.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    It's always to connect to someone else's computer and eject the CD-ROM drive!

Of course that maybe more than 10 years, can you still connect to other Windows PC's through Compmgmt.msc? Do computers still have CD-ROM Drives lol
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Back in da day when I was just a network admin working beside Service Desk folks.. we use to play pranks alot on each other..

Like a small program that caused your icons to move when you tried to click on them.
    or if they had speakers.. remotely changed there volume to max and startup sound to "who let the dogs out" or sometimes less tasteful :)
    or take a screenshot of there desktop and remove the icons and set that screenshot as there desktop background..
    or setup a scheduled event to disable and enable there network port every 5 mins..

One time we played a prank on the Local Cisco SE.. he came in to do a demo and he used the companies "guest" network.. instead we ran his connection through our lab F5 and everytime he tried to pull up a site with Cisco's logo it was changed to Juniper.. :)
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Ahhhhh....some of these are classics!! For the Unix Machines {I.E. Macs, Linux} I wrote a BASH script that I could send remotely via SSH script that would randomly open the shell on there screen and say "You are hacked..enter your credit card number!!", then it would quickly close the shell.

My favorite was really quite simply and quick on the Windows machines. I edited the host file to commonly visited websites {Microsoft, Google, Bing, Gmail} to not so nice websites. ;) LMAO!!!.. these IT Admins with CCIE's, CISSP & MCSE would starting looking at corporate DNS, run network scans for viruses and packet sniffs, start analyzing the IDS/IPS and Firewalls. After they have spent 2 hours troubleshooting all of that....I would just tell them maybe it something with your host file.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    TByrd450 wrote: »
    That sounds awesome. Do you know the script used. I'm abou to take my A+ soon and I don't know how to write scripts or do anything you described. Could you please go in greater detail

A bash script is just a list of commands in a text file that you rename ".bat"

to begin with it was just psexec, and two little executables called "sound.exe and vol.exe"

with Psexec you can pass switches like

psexec -i -c \\pcname "c:\temp\vol.exec 100"

this would copy the file vol.exe in you local temp directory to the remote computer and execute it, (ok the syntax might be slightly wrong its been a while)

so a batch file that has

psexec //pcname -c "c:\temp\sound.exe -unmute"
    psexec //pcname -c "c:\temp\vol.exe -100"
    psexec //pcname -c "c:\temp\sayno.wav"

in a batch file will run psexec (google internal tools to get a copy of psexec) three times for the three different functions. However it will be hard coded to a single PC unless you update the batch file.

look up batch scripts (although they are a little out of date now) and you will see its easy to ask for a varible at run time to replace the PC name or sound file.

Oh you do need admin / log in permissions to the remote PC for it to work.

Oh for a really simple batch script open notepad and type paint.exe.
    close it and rename the file to paint.bat
    double click it and you should find paint opens.

wiki has some basic script examples you could build from if you wanted. Batch file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BSOD screen saver.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Made a screenshot of someone's desktop, set it as background picture and disabled the actual desktop through the registry ...

Fun fun fun :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    BSOD screen saver.

another sysinternal great :)

of course again with PSexec tools you can remotely changes some ones desktop image :) or open up IE with a NSFW link.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    BSOD screen saver.

nonsense
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPI]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

Get's yourself a real one upon reboot - restore last known should fix it :p

On a sidenote
    vsish -e set /reliability/crashMe/Panic 1

Forces a PSOD in ESXi :p
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some of these suggestions are pretty harsh. As a Systems Administrator at a School District I am disappointed in all of you! j/k :)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    I think most of us have been on either end of the prank :D
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I once telnet'd into our email server on the SMTP port and sent an email from my boss, to my coworker stating "We need to talk." And then did the reverse, from my coworker to my boss "We need to talk".

I thought it was hilarious, they did not :D .
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only did it back in my Help Desk days which was the usual ejecting CD Rom drives or placing IE shortcuts in their start ups to lame websites.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I once telnet'd into our email server on the SMTP port and sent an email from my boss, to my coworker stating "We need to talk." And then did the reverse, from my coworker to my boss "We need to talk".

I thought it was hilarious, they did not :D .

We had a sys admin years ago that sent a netsend to somebody they knew saying something kinda offensive as a joke but got the user name wrong by one letter and it went to a government employee. I found out because I got a call from the employee saying they had something popup on their screen and they were too embarrassed to repeat it to me, I connected to their PC and it said "sup beyoch". They made the admin go up and apologize and I bet he was glad nothing serious came from the incident.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to make batch files and set them to run with Task Scheduler on coworkers PCs.
    Theyd just open random webpages or restart the PC etc. It was funny to watch.