SYO-401 exam

rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys so i was going to buy Darill Gibson's excellent Security+ book the SYO-301 edition, until i realized that the SYO-401 exam is coming out at soon (march??).

I am not going to attempt the exam until later this year say July? should i not buy the book and wait for the new exam before i make my decision? Also i am curious will SYO-401 be more difficult than SYO-301? should i go for the SYO-301?

Thanks

Comments

• dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Not really answering the question, but that D. Gibson book is a good read. It is not written for 3rd year Harvard students. You could read that book in 3 weeks and take the exam. I did, and I was never voted the smartest kid in class.
    Side note, I have never in my life seen an exam get updated or added with new subjects or how ever you want to word it, and someone say, "this exam got easier"icon_lol.gif Stop trying to judge how difficult a exam will be, if you want a easy exam take the IT Strata fundamentals exam or something.
  • otakuotaku Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @rht

Generally, when comptia is getting ready to release a new version of their exams they will give some extra time before they retire the current exam. I would look on their website to find out when that is going to happen. If you are pushing for a July date to take the exam then you should be fine to take the current one. If you want to have the latest and greatest you could wait; from what I have seen there are no books out until March. As for the difficulty of the exam that depends on how you study and grasp the material, I had no security experience at all but I used (3) study materials: Darrill's book, Professor Messer and CBT Nuggets with Michael Shannon. I watched Prof. Messer then read Darrill's book twice. The first time I just read it the second time I went back through highlighted what I thought was relevant and typed it up to make a study guide for myself if I had some downtime at work. Make sure you take the end of chapter quizzes. I used CBT Nuggets at least (2) weeks before my exam and I knocked it out of the park. If you set aside some time to study and review you should be fine, I realize my method was overkill but I like to have a variety of resources. You should be fine, I will be looking for a "I passed" post from you in the near future.

Good Luck :)
  • msb129msb129 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril says that it should be about 6 months of overlap. You will have plenty of time to crunch for a couple months and take the 301 test.

New Security+ Exam - SY0-401 - Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [QUOTE=Side note, I have never in my life seen an exam get updated or added with new subjects or how ever you want to word it, and someone say, "this exam got easier"icon_lol.gif Stop trying to judge how difficult a exam will be, if you want a easy exam take the IT Strata fundamentals exam or something.[/QUOTE]

Well i am only judging the difficulty because i am not the best exam taker, i never was. Although i am very good at understanding concepts and applying them in real life, plus some Comptia exam questions are just strange and English being my second language doesn't really help in that regard. :)
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    otaku: Thanks for the good tips i have no security experience except for Net+ material and since i passed A+ easily and working on Net+, i don't think it will be that difficult to pass. I feel the greatest is using Darill's Book not the SYO-401 exam icon_thumright.gif I have seen the book with someone i know and i want to buy it. I am more interested in the content than passing really so since i have time to take the SYO-301 then that's what i am going to do!

msb129: 6 months means i have until around August which should be enough time! Hey thanks for the link icon_thumright.gif
  • otakuotaku Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @rht

Np. You will do fine just make sure you choose a study method that works for you and are comfortable with the material. Professor Messer is good for explaining in a manner that I could relate to.