putty and usb to serial converter

shaunebopshaunebop Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys im having a problem with putty and my new usb to serial converter.

im using the settings i would use normally
Speed - 9600
Data Bits - 8
Parity - none
Stop bits - 1
Flow Control - none

It brings the screen up and the router boots up in it,but once all is loaded up i cant enter any commands ?

It's like the keyboard on the laptop is inputting nothing?

If i use putty straight to one of my other pc's serial interfaces it works fine but cant get it to work on any off them with the usb-serial adaptor?

Anyone else came accross this?
Oh no iv'e got brain freeze again!

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    So you can view all the text displayed while the device is booting up? Do you have another rollover cable to try or another adapter? Sound like it could be an issue on the input portion of the cable.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    A lot of the USB to Serial adapters are crap, which model are you using?
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ive found alot of programs quite buggy when using usb convertors. have you tried using it with tera term?

Also as the device can see the ios starting up i assume the device is ok in device manager etc?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    nel wrote:
    ive found alot of programs quite buggy when using usb convertors. have you tried using it with tera term?
    PuTTY is fine with USB to serial adapters.

I'd suspect the rollover cable first.
  • shaunebopshaunebop Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ive tryed three roll over cables and all work directly connect to a serial port so ruled that 1 out.

It does show the boot up sequence on the screen,but then can not input any commands

The make is a dynamode and it seems to be working properly according to the device manager.

Have tryed it with absolute telnet and same thing happens with that.

This one has me stumpped,personally think it could be faulty icon_cry.gif
    Just tryed the terterm client and same thing with that,get to the,would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog ? [yes/no]: and i cant input nothing?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In a semi-related matter

Today I was trying to configure a 1721 at work with a rollover and PuTTY

I'd get to the Router> prompt, but couldnt input anything

Bunged Tera Term on and it was then fine.

What was weird though - I have an identical 1721 and that worked on both softwares.

Strange
    It's been a 1721 that iv'e been trying it on funny enough.

Have tryed on a couple of others though with no joy?

I think it's got to be a faulty converter,will send it back for another one and hope that does the trck.

Thanks for all your help everyone
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shaunebop wrote:
    It's been a 1721 that iv'e been trying it on funny enough.

Have tryed on a couple of others though with no joy?

I think it's got to be a faulty converter,will send it back for another one and hope that does the trck.

Thanks for all your help everyone

Have you tried downloading the latest driver for the converter from the manufacturer web site? what make/model is it and what is the manufacturer website? surely they have some kind of support page that should help you with this?

One of the issues I've heard of with these usb to serial converters using with Cisco products is the converter does not support the cisco break sequence for getting into rommon mode, but not heard of general input issues before.

I've seen teraterm and putty mentioned here but have you tried good old hyperterminal? Also try lowering the baud rate from 9600 to something lower or even try them all up to 9600.

I had something similar on a Nortel baystack L2 switch a while back using a female - female DB9 serial console and it turned out to be a faulty console cable but doubt it's just faulty if you just bought it, more likely to be linked to capabilities of the converter terminal software. In this scenario I got to the login screen and tried to press ctrl Y to login to the switch and no response from terminal.

I'd say try hyperterminal and baud rate adjustment, if that fails then I would say this is your best bet or something similar that states it supports Cisco console functionality and break sequence http://www.ciscokits.com/usb-serial-converter/
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    nel wrote:
    PuTTY is fine with USB to serial adapters.

I'd suspect the rollover cable first.

That was just from my experiance once or twice. Tested the same kit with TT and worked OK. Maybe of been a one of cos i have used it since.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • kamel.berrayahkamel.berrayah Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I have the same problem , I try to reset à Dialogic Gateway with usb-serial and puty , so I have the mesage to tape "Enter" but It s seem the keyboard not working ?

My Serial-usb driver is [URL="file:///D:/Drivers/USB/PL2303_Vista_32_64_332102.exe"]PL2303_Vista_32_64_332102.exe[/URL] and I use win7 64bit

Please any one resolve this issue ?*

best regartds
  • kamel.berrayahkamel.berrayah Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I read many post and I think the problem is flow control I use XON/XOFF but I read in documentation the equipment need : FlowControl : off***

so I will test this tomorow and I will give you a feed back
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use this little guy:
    Newegg.com - Keyspan High Speed USB Serial Adapter

Works like a champ, I've used it with XP 32, Windows 7 64, and Windows 8 64.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Check that the serial setting settings on the device are matching the settings on putty.

Does this issue happen with ANY/ALL of your devices you try to console in, or one particular router/switch.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had the same thing happen to me with my lab kit also....It turned out that it was the driver for the usb to console cable driver...Google the drivers and try them until you find one that works
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had the same problem a few days ago. Wouldn't work with putty but did work with hyper terminal. I don't think I had proper settings configged in Putty. If you happen to be running xp, try it with hyper terminal. My settings:
    • Asynchronous
    • 9600 bps
    • No parity
    • 8 bit
    • 1 stop bit
    • No flow control