Microsoft update 74-409 exam. My status change to pass from fail after 2 months.

starwebstarweb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
In December I had taken 74-409 exam with free voucher from Microsoft. But I failed for 640/1000. Then I took it again 1 week later and passed.

But after 2 months, yesterday I got the following mail from MicrosoftUpdate@prometric.com
Sub: Important Notice about Your Microsoft Exam 74-409 Score
Dear Valued Customer,

You recently took Microsoft Exam 74-409: Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center. After close evaluation of the exam, we have made some revisions that resulted in a change to your exam results. We are pleased to inform you that your status has been changed to ‘PASS’. This update will be reflected in your official transcript within two weeks. A new score report will be mailed to you within two weeks.

Thank you for taking this exam and for your support of our program.

If you have any additional questions regarding this matter, please contact your local Microsoft Regional Service Center.

Sincerely,

Microsoft

I checked prometric website and I can now see I have passed for both 74-409 exam I took in December. So what change I can expect in transcript?

I wasted one week and travel expenses for taking the above exam again. Stupid microsoft. They also violated privacy policy while sending the above email. They send the email to about 1000 people as CC and I can see all other email. I think my email is also exposed to all the 1000 people.

Can I take any action against Microsoft for violating privacy policy?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Sorry to hear about that. Yours is definitely a certification horror story, but you are not the first to suffer this fate. I believe that in all that fine print on the forms you signed will be something about Microsoft reserving the right to (re)adjust an exam score at a later date for any reason.

As for email addresses, they were originally created to be publicly available information that is part of an insecure message delivery system. Therefore, email addresses are typically not considered to be the type of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that you might sue for negligent release in civil court. Microsoft probably has something about that in the fine print too.
  • starwebstarweb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that. Yours is definitely a certification horror story, but you are not the first to suffer this fate. I believe that in all that fine print on the forms you signed will be something about Microsoft reserving the right to (re)adjust an exam score at a later date for any reason.

As for email addresses, they were originally created to be publicly available information that is part of an insecure message delivery system. Therefore, email addresses are typically not considered to be the type of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that you might sue for negligent release in civil court. Microsoft probably has something about that in the fine print too.

What Microsoft did was good since many failed candidates have passed. But what about people like me who put effort in writing the exam twice? What if I had paid for both exam? Will they refund money?

And about email. Microsoft did is send email of 1000+ users possibly to some spammers or a attacker. Now can wait for spam mails going to hit my inbox on an hourly basis.
  • malakisimalakisi Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too got the same email and saw 1000+ addresses in the email. It has been a few weeks now and I have yet to receive further information about passing the test. I questioned the MS Regional Service Center and they seem clueless about that email. I know this is an old thread, but have you received further info regarding passing the test?
  • starwebstarweb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    malakisi wrote: »
    I too got the same email and saw 1000+ addresses in the email. It has been a few weeks now and I have yet to receive further information about passing the test. I questioned the MS Regional Service Center and they seem clueless about that email. I know this is an old thread, but have you received further info regarding passing the test?

I compalined to Microsoft Regional Service center. I got reply from "Snr. Manager, Microsoft Global Marketing" with an apology.

Still no update on certification. Anyway I had already got certificate 2 months ago in second attempt.