Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS apt-get not installing new Linux Kernel

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Yet for some reason it is getting picked up under their Update Manager. This is for a VM that I'm running in Virtual Box, which I like to update on the weekend.

From Update Manager it is showing the following:
-linux-headers-3.5.0-46 
-linux-headers-3.5.0-46-generic 
-linux-headers-generic-lts-quantal
-linux-image-3.5.0-46-generic 
-linux-image-generic-lts-quantal

From apt-get command line, it is showing the following:
bash$ sudo apt-get upgrade 
Reading packet lists...Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information...Done 
The following packages have been kept back: 
     linux-headers-generic-lts-quantal linux-image-generic-lts-quantal 
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Not sure why the kernel updates are not being picked up by apt-get nor are they getting installed.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    The apt-get upgrade command will normally only install updates (or fixes) to currently installed packages.
    Typically a new release of Mozilla Firefox, for instance, would be installed with this command.

However apt-get upgrade will NOT generally install new releases, where major changes (including removal of packages or GRUB update is required).
    For example, when a new Linux kernel (linux-image-3.x.x-xx-generic, etc.) is available, the package will not get installed.

In order to install the new kernel, you will need to run apt-get dist-upgrade.
    You will be notified when you run apt-get upgrade, as it will say that certain packages have been held back.

That's your cue to use: apt-get dist-upgrade.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you tried to force the install? Try running "apt-get -f install" after you "apt-get update". For some reason, maybe apt isn't reading the sources correctly? Just a thought. Might work, might not.

***Trashman...I think you hit the nail on the head. I totally forgot that one should run the apt-get dist-upgrade command. Great post!***
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Have you tried to force the install? Try running "apt-get -f install" after you "apt-get update". For some reason, maybe apt isn't reading the sources correctly? Just a thought. Might work, might not.

Just tried the following

bash$ apt-get force linux-headers-generic-lts-quantal

Nothing. Along with that, don't see force listed under the man page. I guess that was removed. I remember that force was an option awhile back.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    Trashman wrote: »

In order to install the new kernel, you will need to run apt-get dist-upgrade.

That's your cue to use: apt-get dist-upgrade.

That seemed to work.

I've had issues with that command in the past. When I used to run Red Hat (this is before Fedora was created), I would run this for whatever reason and often enough it would break my Linux and I would have to do a fresh install.

-unknown
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Have you tried to force the install? Try running "apt-get -f install"

Buuuurrrrr..... *road train brakes*
    First need to figure out why it's not working the _normal_ way.
    Forcing can mess up things like packages not being fully installed and they keep getting stuck when doing "apt-get update" in the future :)
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
    I did a double look, force is still part of apt-get, however...
    --force-yes Force yes. This is a dangerous option that will cause apt-get to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations. Using --force-yes can potentially destroy your syste

apt-get(icon_cool.gif - Linux man page

-unknown