Options

Quest to becoming a Penetration Tester

bsdbanditbsdbandit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Right now i'm on a mission to becoming a penetration tester and landing a job as a pen tester. I have a Linux background and i i can code in python and bash ive worked with windows servers in the past but im going to have to get back up to speed with windows again. Currently i have the following certifications Network+ Security+ Linux+ CLA LPIC-1 LPIC-2 CEH OWSP. by the end of 2014 im looking to getting the following certifications:

ECSA
LPT
CISSP
CHFI
OSCP
OSWE
SSCP
CWNA -> taking this one March 1st
CCNA-Wireless
CCNP-Wireless

I've been going to security conferences as well. Do you guys have any more suggestions that i might have missed ?

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't speak for the CCNP Wireless, but the CCNA Wireless is worthless in my opinion. The CWNA and CWSP combo is probably a lot more relevant if you want to get into the inner workings of wireless communications.

If you're going for the CISSP, I'm not sure what the benefit of getting the SSCP would be.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not just OSCP and the OSWE since those are focused on what you want to do? Maybe add in some time with the pentest academy from security tube, and start sending out resumes.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I'd also drop the majority of certs from that list. OSCP + CISSP and maybe OSWE would be my choice. LPT, the Cisco ones and SSCP seem pointless. If you are interested in wireless technologies, what docrice suggested is great.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.