Passed 70-685

Cookie0879Cookie0879 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed with a score of 724. Not a great score I know, but I know what my weak points are (remote users) and will do some additional reading up on this. The test itself took me around 2 hours to complete. Besides the remote users topics, it wasn't that difficult.

What I found strange that even though the 70-685 is a troubleshooting exam, the questions I got seemed to be more focused on the new capabilties in Windows 7. What I mean by this is, they describe a certain 'problem' a user is facing, and what settings needs to be modified in order for the user to be able to get around the problem. However, the 'problem' is more of a limitation of a configuration setting, not an actual error. Maybe it's just me, but this type of questions would seem better suited for the 70-680 exam.

Anyway, the materials I used were:
- MS Press Self Paced Training Kit *link*
- CBT Nuggets *link*
- 70-685 Notes by Psoasman *link*

Took me around 4 months of studying, althoug that included about a month of either myself, the misses, or one of the kids being sick.
Currently Studying For: 70-410 Training Guide - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
Goal for 2013: 70-642 (DONE), 70-646 (DONE), 70-410 (studying), 70-411, 70-412

Comments

• TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Cookie0879 wrote: »
    Passed with a score of 724. Not a great score I know, but I know what my weak points are (remote users) and will do some additional reading up on this. The test itself took me around 2 hours to complete. Besides the remote users topics, it wasn't that difficult.

What I found strange that even though the 70-685 is a troubleshooting exam, the questions I got seemed to be more focused on the new capabilties in Windows 7. What I mean by this is, they describe a certain 'problem' a user is facing, and what settings needs to be modified in order for the user to be able to get around the problem. However, the 'problem' is more of a limitation of a configuration setting, not an actual error. Maybe it's just me, but this type of questions would seem better suited for the 70-680 exam.

Anyway, the materials I used were:
    - MS Press Self Paced Training Kit *link*
    - CBT Nuggets *link*
    - 70-685 Notes by Psoasman *link*

Took me around 4 months of studying, althoug that included about a month of either myself, the misses, or one of the kids being sick.

Congrats, Whats up next for you? And thanks for your opinion. I have been wondering what that test will be like.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!
    Welcome to the forum!
  • Cookie0879Cookie0879 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Whats up next for you? And thanks for your opinion. I have been wondering what that test will be like.

Well, to quote Psoasman's signature: 'Working on the 70-686'
    Ordered Darril Gibson's book last week friday, should arrive some time this week.
    I didn't know about this one till I was almost finished studying for the 70-685, otherwise I could have bought just one book.
    So far I've done all my studying using MS Press books, but I figured why not try something else for a change. If needed, I can always get the MS Press book later.

And thanks for the welcome!
    Currently Studying For: 70-410 Training Guide - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Not sure if I'm ready for the Server Admin track this year, so I'm considering doing this track after 70-680 (whenever that will be).
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    badboyeee wrote: »
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Not sure if I'm ready for the Server Admin track this year, so I'm considering doing this track after 70-680 (whenever that will be).

Well, I felt the same way after passing my 70-680. What made me decide to go with the Windows 7 exams and not the Server track? I thought about what the different certification paths would lead me to job/function wise, and OS deployment/design/... seemed for me the more interesting pah in the end.

That's not to say that I will not do the server track in future time permitting, however at the moment it is not where my priorities are.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, any tips for a guy like me who's just beginning the studying for 685?

So far it looks straight forward. I have experience ts'ing and deploying Windows 7 extensively this early on and have had to configure and fix untold amount of random, strange, critical issues. I think the experience is letting me to think it won't be so hard.
    :twisted:
    darkerz wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass, any tips for a guy like me who's just beginning the studying for 685? ...

Well, as you state having extensive troubleshooting experience with Windows 7, study up on the new technologies found in W7 (like for example vpn auto-reconnect when using ikev2).
  • Frazzle6Frazzle6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Just joined found some useful info already, doing 70-685 in the next couple of weeks.
    Anyone who has done the test, how many question did you get?, what score is considered a pass?
    How did you find the exam, enough time allotted. Never done test like this before, bit nervous.

cheers
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrads on the Pass!!!

I wouldn't be to shy about that score. There are some people that fail this test two or three times. So a Pass is always good.

I just scheduled my exam for next Monday, so one week and counting. I have been study off and on for 5 months and still don't feel ready to take this one. I have been a little Microsoft test shy since the 70-680.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Frazzle6Frazzle6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did my exam last Friday, 50 questions, scored 500, the first 12 questions was on things i had not seen in my study guide or even read about on the net.
    identifying cause and resolving security issues and identifying cause and resolving desktop apps issues, those really bought my score down, the other were ok.
    Take a couple of weeks find out what i can and take a re sit.
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass.

I personally used CBT nuggets and MS Press books for this exam. The 70-680 was a combination of Don Poulton's book, MS Press Book (Recommended) and CBT Nuggets.
    Kindly doing the needful