Want.

Thanks for sharing:)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Those look like they'll be fun to take, thanks for sharing
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have no idea what they are talking about. I've never seen a net admin do anything but support, design, implement, integrate, and secure. What do they mean with this programability?
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I have no idea what they are talking about. I've never seen a net admin do anything but support, design, implement, integrate, and secure. What do they mean with this programability?

I think they probably mean, its time for us to start getting acquainted with Python and Linux :p
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Generally speaking, this entire SDN thing puts me in an awkward position because it makes it more difficult to know what to study and what to focus on. Is spending say a thousand hours to become semi-competent at Python worthwhile compared to spending the same amount of time working on the traditional methods and protocols? Should I read a book on OpenFlow, or MPLS Fundamentals? It's all very confusing for someone like me who isn't very established in the industry.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I tried reading it but I honestly had no idea what was going on.

I'll go back to learning BGP.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Generally speaking, this entire SDN thing puts me in an awkward position because it makes it more difficult to know what to study and what to focus on. Is spending say a thousand hours to become semi-competent at Python worthwhile compared to spending the same amount of time working on the traditional methods and protocols?

I would certainly pick up some python or other language skill as aside to learning the protocols. I wish I would have started sooner. I wouldn't make it a priority over learning networking protocols if that is what you want to do with your career though.
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Should I read a book on OpenFlow, or MPLS Fundamentals? It's all very confusing for someone like me who isn't very established in the industry.

Depends, are you looking to work for a service provider? If so MPLS is definitely what you should be learning about.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know some of these concepts are high level and new, but Cisco is trying to get the tangibility of the benefits of these platforms across to the public.

Virtualization Technology for the Real World, Today

http://blogs.cisco.com/sp/virtualization-technology-for-the-real-world-today/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+CiscoBlogSp360ServiceProvider+(SP360:+Service+Provider)

Executing on Virtualization
    Executing on Virtualization
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a phone interview on friday with a guy who was also throwing around alot of "as a service" terms, and frankly, I felt a bit stupid. Does Cisco teach a bit about the Cloud computing terms and that sort of thing in the CCNA Datacenter cert? I Honestly felt like my CCNA and CCNA Sec were worthless after talking to that guy....
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Levithan wrote: »
    I had a phone interview on friday with a guy who was also throwing around alot of "as a service" terms, and frankly, I felt a bit stupid. Does Cisco teach a bit about the Cloud computing terms and that sort of thing in the CCNA Datacenter cert? I Honestly felt like my CCNA and CCNA Sec were worthless after talking to that guy....

There's a difference between knowing jargon and knowing technology.

Jargon can be clarified with a google search. Knowing technology usually takes a bit more work.

This document should get you going with some ground knowledge on usual talk about cloud computing.
    http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf

Also, try reading the wikipedia article on the subject:
    Cloud computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Cisco and the Evolution of the Service Provider Network

"We are virtualizing our entire SP portfolio. The year 2013 is one where the concept of “Network Function Virtualization” (NfV) caught the industry by storm. In NfV, virtualized network functions are software appliances executing on virtual machines delivered in a telco cloud environment. In a nutshell, NfV is attractive to our customers because it allows them to clearly delineate the respective values of software, hardware and professional services for total solution integration. Practices based on data center techniques promise to reduce the cost of operating the network and simplify work processes through the agility we are seeing today in the cloud environment. And none of this evolution will compromise the ability of service providers to deploy multi-vendor solutions though it is fair to state, procurement practices will need to re-align to this brave new world. For example, rather than procure integrated network functions to be assembled into a network, service providers may have to separate out layers each representing purchasing decisions into choices for virtualized functions, virtualized environment, hardware, and then vertical professional services to bring it all together."
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    It's a step in the right direction and Cisco need to stay on top of this, the future of networking is around the corner. Having a strong virtualization back ground will be coming into play I think *hint* *hint*
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    Upcoming Cisco Webinar on the Cisco Evolved Services Platform:

Cisco Online Seminar - Cisco Systems
    CISSP, CCNA SP