Scrum vs waterfall

j.mayerj.mayer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am PMP certified and currently using the PMP methodology for my project. However, due to the client side requirement, I need to plan the upcoming project using Scrum. I want to know and learn more about Scrum. I was browsing and came across some information about Scrum on Scrum Certification and Agile Certification | Scrum Training, Agile Training - SCRUMstudy. Can someone please suggest some more relevant resources?

Also, is it important to get certified to implement Scrum?

Regards
Jonathan

Comments

• SiddsgSiddsg Banned Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    You can go to scrumalliance.org.

Getting certified is just a way to validate (to yourself most important)that you have the knowledge. Implementing scrum does not require certification. It just requires knowledge of the basics of scrum.

As you know, PMP covers the complete project lifecycle from the project charter to closure and also covers areas like requirement gathering, task scheduling, cost management,procurement, HR and goes into great detail in these and other areas.

Scrum covers a much smaller area of the project from requirement prioritizing, and what in PMP terms would be covered under parts of Execution and parts of Monitor and Control process groups.

Within those common areas, there are a number of similarities also.
    For example:
    1. Scrum recommends splitting the project into sprints, while PMP recommends splitting into phases.
    2.. Scrum recommends team members (and not the scrum master) should give estimates and so does PMP (in this case the PM).
    3. Scrum recommends collocation, and so does PMP, which recommends a war room in an ideal scenario.
    4. Scrum recommends regular sprint/standup meetings and sprint review meetings. PMP recommends similar review and improvement thru the Demings cycle and other concepts.

Thanks and Regards,

Sidd
  • robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd be careful with equating sprints to phases. They can match up, but it has to be explicit. Usually I'd match a phase to the delivery of the next shippable increment/product which could be multiple sprints.

The single best guide to SCRUM I've ever read is this one. You'll 'get' more about SCRUM in 25 minutes than most people who claim to have been doing it for years...:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrum-Breathtakingly-Brief-Agile-Introduction/dp/193796504X
  • shazbshazb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI Rob & Sid

I notice you both are ITIL Foundation certified. I am also going for the exam could you please tell me you took ITIL Foundation V3 Or 2011 . I am not sure which version is updated or what is the difference between. and can you guide me which one is the best online training provider for the exam. Or just reading with the book we can pass the exam. How much is the course and the exam cost. Please guide me with these info
    Thanks
  • mikelau13mikelau13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shazb wrote: »
    HI Rob & Sid

I notice you both are ITIL Foundation certified. I am also going for the exam could you please tell me you took ITIL Foundation V3 Or 2011 . I am not sure which version is updated or what is the difference between. and can you guide me which one is the best online training provider for the exam. Or just reading with the book we can pass the exam. How much is the course and the exam cost. Please guide me with these info
    Thanks

2011 is the V3; V2 is old. ITIL added request fulfillment (to distinct some requests from incident management) and few other stuffs into the V3 comparing with V2.

Please define what do you mean by "best online training" do you mean you can learn the most from the study materials? or you mean cheapest? or you mean they provide the best customer support?

"Thought rock" is the cheapest ITIL foundation training provider I can find, around $250 USD included the exam fee (exam nearly $200, so the course itself only costs you additional $50). I passed it by reading the book + 300 practice mock exam questions.