Passed CCNA Exam

codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed CCNA exam yesterday! I took the 200-120 exam. 958 was my score. I studied with GNS3 and CBT nuggets videos mainly. Also some skillsoft CBTs offered through my employer. Really wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I do work with Cisco gear daily though. I think I had a glitch with one of my labs that caused me to waste a lot of time. Got it working in like 5 minutes, verified and all was well, saved config, and verified again because I'm OCD. On the second verification it did not work. Took another 10-15 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with no luck. I got full credit on that section so I'm thinking maybe it was a glitch in the exam software. Really wish they had some sort of notepad functionality on the sims so you could get everything straight before inputting commands. I have not been very active on this site a whole lot but do regularly read posts that interest me and have learned a bit from that. I plan on being more active as I study for for my ROUTE exam.

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! I plan to take this test next month so I can get 6 credits towards my degree so I don't have to take 2 networking courses.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a win to me. If you don't have a lot of hands on experience, make sure you know those labs pretty well. GNS3 is really nice if you don't have the equipment available to you.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome thanks for the advice, I have GNS3 and also using packet tracer.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • krish2crazykrish2crazy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! And good luck on your CCNP Route!icon_thumright.gif
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    ROUTE is a challenge, Good Luck!
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    congrats
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I will be using the Chris Bryant videos and GNS3 with Packet Tracer. Did you use any practice exams or books?
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass. I am curious, how long did you take to prep for the exam? do you think someone with moderate network knowledge could study and pass it in 4 to 6 weeks? I also have passed Network+ as well, and having that knowledge/background is helpful, but I am just wondering if it can be done with moderate to little knowledge in a short period of time. I just don't have the money/resources to use physical equipment so I am using simulators and books for my prep material, and am hoping that will be enough. I hope to take the CCNA exam sometime late March or possibly early April, depending on how confident I feel about taking the exam in a few weeks. Any tips on what areas to focus on?
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends what your goals are techwizard. I'm sure you could cram in enough in 4-6 weeks to scrape by with a pass and put the letters on your resume. I doubt you could thoroughly learn, understand and retain well enough to speak in depth in an interview about all of the info in that time frame though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I kind of agree with networker, but then again I don't.

I took the two exam approach back in 2011 and was able to do it in 8 weeks while deployed. I felt like I understood the information inside and out and I implemented it and spoke the terminology quite a bit back then. I was able to teach others what I was talking about as well. I think it depends on how hard you study and if you are studying to just learn the answers or studying to learn the overall theory and why something works the way it works.

I spent a lot of time breaking things so that I understood how to fix it and what the underlying problems were. I used no test **** or anything of the sort, I was just dedicated to learning. Are you going to know EVERYTHING in that period of time? No, but if you're honest and you keep your head in the game.. you will come out knowing a crap ton more than you think.

I'm re-learning/studying for my CCNA recert now and I plan on testing in around two months hopefully, so if I can do it, you can do it. Just don't quit.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Elijah09Elijah09 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□