Reccomended Books and Material for CCNP R+S Feb 2014

MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am about to start studying for R+S.

I have been looking around for books and there isn't anything in print that really stands out in terms of reviews and or being published recently.

I used Todd Lammel's latest book for CCNA and found it excellent, unfortunatly he doesn't have any recent books for CCNP.

Based on reccomedations in this forum ( and price )

I am going to read this book first completely to get an overview then :

Cisco CCNP SWITCH Simplified by Tafa, Farai and Browning, Paul (22 May 2011)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-CCNP-ROUTE-Simplified-Farai-ebook/dp/B005479BYK/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2

I also have the Bryant Videos on Udemy and the kindle books (Which seem really good so far)

The Bryant Videos seem to closely follow the book so I want a second source.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bryant-Advantage-ROUTE-Study-Guide-ebook/dp/B008QWEXXO/ref=pd_sim_kinc_8

Do I need the Official Cisco books or are there any other books recommended ?
If you like or don't like a book please mention it here and say why as it will be helpful anyway.

Comments

• bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    The trend lately seems that most people who have reviewed the Simplfied series will vouch for that as the best overall book option available. Personally I purchased the Cisco FLG before Simplfied released and found it suitable.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Yes I am heavily considering getting the Simplified book for ROUTE, it seems to be highly recommended by everyone who's passed recently, and the reviews on amazon matches the feedback on here almost exactly.

Not sure about the OCG, I barely cracked it open before I jumped into Voice studies.
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been using these books with my CCNP studies so far, along with INE CCNP Video Bootcamp.

Study Material

I cannot recommend the INE CCNP Video bootcamp enough, it is amazing.

CCNP Routing & Switching Courses

INE Free CCNP Lab Workbook:

INE's CCNP Workbook - IEOC - INE's Online Community
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suspect the lack of recent books indicates a change in curriculum at some point this year. I'll be finished by then anyway.

The simplified book is an incredible price if the reviews hold up. You can read it with the kindle desktop program if you don't have a kindle.
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    +1 on the Simplified Books! I just read the SWITCH book not to long ago!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    +1 for the Simplified books. Better than the FLG and OCGs
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I must be the only one who isn't impressed by Switch Simplified. I'm sure that it contains the required technical content, but it's not particularly well written and takes no steps to explain the content through analogies or things of that nature. I can only recommend it under the assumption that the OCG doesn't contain all the required information, and how would you actually know that?
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How to Master CCNP by René Molenaar.
    The well-written books.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Minary wrote: »
    I suspect the lack of recent books indicates a change in curriculum at some point this year. I'll be finished by then anyway.

The simplified book is an incredible price if the reviews hold up. You can read it with the kindle desktop program if you don't have a kindle.

I feel a change is imminent soon too, I really wish they gave more than a 3 month heads up on curriculum updates, especially with these year long cert paths.
    I just got going on CCNP route simplified yesterday and today. It really is excellent.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Minary,

I've just begun my CCNP R+S studies also. I am currently halfway through my 2 read of the CCNP Route OCG, it's fairly dry but provides most the concepts and necessary information. I have also got the CBT CCNP Route and INE series, which I've heard are both very good! :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed SWITCH using pretty much only Switch Simplified, extensive notes written, labs and few videos to help grasp a few things better!

I do work with a lot Switches in my work too though, that's of course also a big factor
    Rene Molenaar book's is also excellent. I just started it yesterday. He recommends using mind maps for notes which I started too.
    I'll post my Map for EIGRP when it is finished. I think this is the next level for taking notes. So much easier to review and remember.

http://gns3vault.com/item/how-to-master-ccnp-route.html?category_id=1
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When you compare OCG, FLG and Simplified series, how would you rank them? As in, what would be your primary study material and which one would your secondary. I'm considering purchasing them to get started on my CCNP study, but I rather not purchase them all. I realize the simplified series are offered as e-book rather cheaply, but I need to have the physical copy of my study materials.

Also, which series would you say offers the most information in case they do modify the CCNP track? I ask that because I still want the material I purchase to be useful in foreseeable future.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
    I am leaning towards recommending the GNS3vault books. I haven't completed the exams but they seem great.