Options

Shaping mismatch

Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
Let's say a Service Provider is selling one of their 100Mbps Circuit going to an MPLS backbone. If the Service Provider is shaping at a value of 85Mbps and the customer is shaping at a value of 100Mbps, what would happen to traffic from the customer if it is between 85Mbps and 100Mbps? More specifically, if the customer has a priority class of 20% for Voice, since the traffic is never hitting shaping rate on the customer side but it is on the Service Provider side, will the Voice traffic be queue'd and even dropped on the service provider QoS?

Thank you
Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, shaping is an egress technology so the provider wouldn't be shaping on the input. If they are policing there then yes an ingress traffic from the customer may be dropped if it is exceeding.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I did not say that they were shaping ingress. They are probably shaping egress to their PE.
  • Options
    Ok, so if the CE is shaping egress 100mbps and the PE (or some other device) is policing 85mbps inbound then traffic would be dropped or possibly just remarked. If there is 20mbps of that 100mpbs as voice the policing can be configured to give the voice traffic priority so only exceeding data is dropped.
  • Options
    From your experience, do Service Providers remark with an NBAR class or trust boundaries for voice traffic?
  • Options
    Matching on markings is the preferred method I've seen. If customers can't mark their own traffic a CPE device might be put out there with NBAR or match on ports, IPs etc.