Is TestOut enough to pass?

pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
I have to take the Linux+ exams for my degree at WGU, and I was wondering if the TestOut material provided by WGU is enough to pass the exams.

Thanks!

Comments

• dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Personally, I can not speak for the Linux+ in test out, but I have had the A+ and Security+ Testout in my past life. and its a bunch of hog-wash. I will give you one example. The Security+ Testout/Labsim prepares you for Three(3) exams, Security+, SSCP, AND Testout Exam….what the? yeah I know, How can you prepare for one exam with three exams worth of material. I believe the instructors teach based on opinions, rather than anything else, I would of liked them to not "shoot from the hip" when instructing, and shoot from a book or exam objectives.. I went through the Security+ AFTER I passed it and was like….ok……. we missing some stuff here, After watching 17hours worth of videos doing 25 labs and 20 practice exams, its kinda hard to memorize everything icon_silent.gif The A+ is a different paragraph, moral of the story, would I use them to prepare even if it was free..NO, would I pay for it NO, Maybe the Linux one is the best thing out and will prepare you beyond belief,….. i cant say
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I used testout along with some free online materials and passed the linux+ with flying colours.

I wrote a blog post on the weekend touching on some of the free and paid materials that can be used for the exam. If you use testout you can combine it with danscourses which will give you extra labs etc to perform. This would be my suggestion to you as you have access to testout already.

See full post below.

Certification Tips - Studying For The Linux+
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I agree that TestOut is horrid. Why aren't you using the text (e-book) provided by WGU? This is definitely one of CompTIA's hardest certs and I would highly recommend using the book as it aligns much more closely to objectives/exam than TestOuts garbage.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Thanks Bryzey. I'll start going through danscourses.

@CoolAsAFan - I was informed by my mentor that the TestOut material is a better resource than the e-book.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Yeah follow dans courses which will tell you how to use the testout material and you should do fine.

Just supplement with some of the free materials. Also print exam objectives and make sure you know your stuff.
  • Leftya88Leftya88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used TestOut and the Sybex book by Rod Smith and was able to pass both on the first try. I personally found the Testout portions invaluable for their labs. Labbing is definitely necessary, and I supplemented the Testout labs with virtual machines. The book was great as a cross-reference. I would highly reccomend the Linux+ Testout; its the only one I am familiar with however.