I passed my A+ yesterday

bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
Good exams. I passed the 801 exam a few weeks ago with an 845 and the 802 exam yesterday with a 788. To me the 802 exam was much more challenging. The troubleshooting questions are lengthy and some of them I had to read over and over again.. maybe I was just tired lol. Also the simulations were a little more difficult IMO.

I used the Mike Meyers A+ book, Exam Cram, and Professor Messer videos. I also printed out the objectives and wrote my understanding of each objective next to the objective itself (learned this idea from someone on here at TE :) very helpful). All of this was overkill. I'd suggest for anyone getting into the A+ to get the Exam Cram book and study the book thoroughly. Also print out the objectives and make sure you understand them.Take the practice tests in the Cram book and if you do well go ahead and take the test and you will pass!

Now I'm sorta stuck thinking about what to do next. I was thinking either Net+ or MTA Server Fundamentals. Does anyone have any opinions on either of these? Also any other suggestions? Ultimately I'll be getting into Cisco CCNA (part of my curriculum at college) but before I start those classes next semester I want to get one more cert.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

If I had to pick between the two certs you mentioned I would say Network+
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    If you just want to get a cert before next semester, just to have a cert. Go with the easiest choice……..or/and the cheapest. That is only because you wanted another cert and for no other reason.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass! I'd say network+ as well
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job, Congrats!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

I passed A+ last month and i am working on Net+. I also found the 802 exam questions very annoying since you have to figure out what it is trying to tell you exactly. I also found the wording for the simulation questions very confusing and i found myself reading them over and over.

TIPS: Also for anyone going for A+ don't spend too much time studding like i did, its a wast of time the exam questions are not difficult. There is alot to know especially if your new to computing but dont go too much into the details.

However before you sit the exam:
    1. Watch Proffessor Messer Videos (they are excellent ether for A+ N+ or S+)
    2. Buy a good book and read it twice (i suggest Exam Cram or Mike Meyers if you are new to the concepts as it goes into too much detail you don't need really)
    3. make sure you can identify motherboard components
    4. make sure you can use the command prompt (ipconfig and ping)
    5. you can configure a Home router for security.
    6. you can explain everything on the Objectives sheet.
    7. you can pick components for a Gaming/Server/Thin Client etc.

Good luck to everyone :)
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    rht, don't forget about the terms and conditions you sign before taking the test... just sayin.

Anyway I should have been more specific about my next cert; I'm not getting one just to get one like an above poster said. I thought about this a little more and I think my next cert should hold some sort of value even after I get my CCNA. Therefore, Network+ would be kind of pointless, right? Also I was reading about MTA and apparently it is very easy. This would just probably just look weak on my resume lol.

So, my question for you guys is what would still be a good cert to have even after I get my A.S. and CCNA? Now that I have my A+ I should be able to get into a desktop support position while I go to school. I was thinking Linux+ might actually be a good option for my next one. Keep the replies coming! :)
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bhcs2014 wrote: »
    rht, don't forget about the terms and conditions you sign before taking the test... just sayin.

I was getting a little excited there lol. i should try to calm down next time. thax :P
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wellcome to TE and congratulations on earning the A+ cert!!! icon_thumright.gif

I also vote for Net+

all the best in whatever you decide to do!!!
  • Subbu10Subbu10 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I couldn't clear my 802 A+ exam. I need you guys help to clear the exam. can you please provide me with the answers for below questions:

1: I had a question, saying the computer A IP address was changed from 10.31.3.12 to 10.31.3.24, since the IP address computer B couldn't share the file from computer A.

I tired doing /flushdns on both sides, I am not sure whether is it right or wrong. can someone try this out and provide me the answer

2: imaging 50 desktop from a computer. I had options like sysprep and RIS. I slected sysprep, as the question said its going to image from a computer I selected sysprep. I am not sure whether is it right or wrong.

3: Asked me to setup e-mail and it gave me the ports and protocol, but that question I was wrong i really don't know what mistake I made. can you please provide me with the tip.

4: setting up wifi, I did everything right to my knowledge but i was wrong. please provide me the tip and do tell me if we have any free sites to practice simulation questions.

5: I made mistake in SOHO questions too. please someone help me to clear this exam and please provide me with any study materials that you used for the exam.
  • OTBOOTBO Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subbu10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I couldn't clear my 802 A+ exam. I need you guys help to clear the exam. can you please provide me with the answers for below questions:

1: I had a question, saying the computer A IP address was changed from 10.31.3.12 to 10.31.3.24, since the IP address computer B couldn't share the file from computer A.

I tired doing /flushdns on both sides, I am not sure whether is it right or wrong. can someone try this out and provide me the answer

2: imaging 50 desktop from a computer. I had options like sysprep and RIS. I slected sysprep, as the question said its going to image from a computer I selected sysprep. I am not sure whether is it right or wrong.

3: Asked me to setup e-mail and it gave me the ports and protocol, but that question I was wrong i really don't know what mistake I made. can you please provide me with the tip.

4: setting up wifi, I did everything right to my knowledge but i was wrong. please provide me the tip and do tell me if we have any free sites to practice simulation questions.

5: I made mistake in SOHO questions too. please someone help me to clear this exam and please provide me with any study materials that you used for the exam.

NDA, my friend.