MCSA or CompTIA Security+

eclowneyeclowney Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm confused about which cert to go for next. Here's what i have now:
MCP - WNT environment (6 yrs. ago)
MCDST - new
CNA - old version
CompTIA A+ - new

I'm five chapters into Security + (which counts towards MCSA)
or

Just go for "MCSA"
I just interviewed for a Help Desk Support position (should know outcome this week) so basically cert. isn't a rush right now.
Thanks for any help!

Liz
"Comfort is the Enemy of Achievement"

Go For IT!

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    eclowney wrote:
    Should i study for IIS 4.0 (old ver.) then I'll have MCP +I

Umm...MCP+I was retired 5 years ago. :P
    IIS 4.0 is like...dead, so it would be quite pointess wasting time studying it.
    witty comment
  • eclowneyeclowney Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Umm...MCP+I was retired 5 years ago.
    IIS 4.0 is like...dead, so it would be quite pointess wasting time studying it.

Umm... Thanks omni
    I know it's outdated; however it's on certification planner as an option to still be certified ALTHOUGH I KNOW THAT IIS 6.0 is the latest version.

Good Day!

Go For IT!
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    eclowney wrote:
    I know it's outdated; however it's on certification planner as an option to still be certified ALTHOUGH I KNOW THAT IIS 6.0 is the latest version.

Good Day!
    No, it's not an option. The necessary exams have been retired. They are no longer available.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpi/requirements.asp
    Microsoft wrote:
    ...it is no longer possible to earn the Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet (MCP+I) certification...
    witty comment
  • eclowneyeclowney Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Omni,

Thanks again-

It looks like I'll have to contact Microsoft again; as they just straightened out my ID # - my exams were showing up under two different ID #'s and I was unaware of one of the #'s. anyway, they took care of that and now I'll have to contact them to fix my Certification Planner to reflect the continued exam as it doesn't list it as such.

icon_wink.gif

Go For IT!
  • dude, go for Security+. Nowadays, security knowledge is essential to have, and your employers will love you for it. Knowing security practices will always give you an edge up against your competition. Not only does it count for MCSA, but it also counts for MCSE Security, so its definately worth it.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Security+ doesn't count as an elective towards MCSA, but it does for MCSE. You already have A+, and if you get Network+, those two together count as an elective for MSCA.

An exam/cert may show up on the planner as a condition for upgrade even if that test/cert no longer is available. In other words, you could be an MCSE on NT, of which most (if not all) tests are retired. However you could leverage its use if you took the core 2000 upgrade exam before it was retired.

CNA, are you referring to Netware/Novell Certified Administrator (classic)? I don't think you can use that as leverage anymore for anything.
  • Danman32 wrote:
    Security+ doesn't count as an elective towards MCSA, but it does for MCSE.

the next time you wanna attempt to correct people, look up the info first. Security+ DOES count towards MCSA, so does MCDST, A+ AND Net+, or A+ AND Server+.

take a look at the bottom -> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I took my Security+ first because it does count for both the MCSA and MCSE.
  • cw295cw295 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go for Security+ it counts for MCSA and MCSE. Network+ is also good to have but only counts as an elective for MCSA when it is combined with A+.
    cw295
  • SoftwarepatchSoftwarepatch Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go for the MCSA........Weeee