Options

Cert advice

SkolnickSkolnick Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I preparing for my last CCNP exam, and I was wondering where I should go from here. I've been working at an ISP in my country, but in a sort of System Administrator capacity. So, I've got a little unix/windows administrator experience under my belt, but no formal training.

So what I wanted to know is, where should I go from here? Both areas interest me, but I've got to admit that networking is seeming more interesting to me. So, what are all of your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you are about to complete your CCNP and interested in networking then my next step would be to get a job dealing with networks rather than systems. From there you can choose your next certification depending on the technologies you are working with.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SkolnickSkolnick Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea, but what I'm seeing a lot is this mixture of network and system admins. Basically a Swiss-army engineer. So I was wondering what's "Hot", what can I count on to be useful basically anywhere, or what skills are normally associated with a CCNP?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It depends on the job. Maybe security, maybe systems admin, voice etc. That is why I suggested you get a job and certify on what you are working with. Getting a random certification in some 'hot' technology you have never worked with isn't going to help you much.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.