298/299 - doing both?

MrSharpMrSharp Member Posts: 45 ■■■□□□□□□□
A question to those of you that have done these exams.

Having a quick glance through the objectives, I can see potentially a lot of overlap and am contemplating taking both exams together (on the same day/ trip to the testing centre)
Any thoughts on whether this is a good or bad idea?

Also looking through a few threads, I saw the dreaded "testlet" word.
Does this mean these exams have the annoying format where you have multiple sections that you have to complete before moving on, and consequently makes it difficult to gauge how you are doing for time?

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is a lot of overlap for these exams. The 299 book is good for both exams. I did get the 298 book, but it reads more like a reference book.

When I took the 298, it was divided into several "testlets" or mini-tests. Each was timed and when time was up, you had to move on. I am not 100% positive, but I read somewhere on the Born to Learn blog, by Liberty Munson, that the timing for the exams with testlets has changed.

I think both exams are doable on the same day, provided you've labbed through everything.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same material, but completely different beasts. The 298 is case study based which is far different than your typical multiple choice test. Read a few pages about the company/environment answer a few questions about what you would recommend they do and then move on to the next case study. And of course once you move on, there is no going back.

I personally wouldn't do them in the same day. The 298 will make your brain hurt after even 15 minutes. It's exhausting
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MrSharpMrSharp Member Posts: 45 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thx for the replies

I did them both on the same day, failed one.
    Resat the one I failed about a week later and got 1000...

this was in may (before your replies) so apologies for belated update ;)