Advice on Configuring Windows Server 2008 environment...

kenichiwaaakenichiwaaa Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need some advice on where to get started - I have a room with a Server, Switch and about 8 computers.

Windows Server 2008 R2 <
> Switch <
> 8 CPU's with Windows 7 Pro

They're all connected as far as wiring goes, I need some advice on how to set up the Server to connect to the switch to assign IP's to the 8 CPU's.

None of the machines will be connecting to any network.

Any advice, links or documents will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like you need to install the DHCP role on your server 2008 machine. Configuring DHCP Server Role Settings
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • kenichiwaaakenichiwaaa Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to install the DHCP role on your server 2008 machine. Configuring DHCP Server Role Settings
    Once that's installed, and IP addresses are assigned to all of the machines... Would I need to map the network drive on each machine or will it do it automatically?
    Once that's installed, and IP addresses are assigned to all of the machines... Would I need to map the network drive on each machine or will it do it automatically?
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Yes, unless you want to create a domain and administer them that way.

If someone already spent the scratch for the Win Serve and you plan on getting any more additional boxes, you might as well create a new domain and join those machines to it. Then you can configure a group policy to auto map the drives. It isn't too tough, someone could probably walk you through it if you're stumped.
    How would you do it? The main purpose of this is for the machines to take in data from the SQL server database.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    What kind of switch is this? AKA will you have to do any switch configuration?

If the SQL server is on the Win2k8r2 Server then the simplest connection would be via IP mapping. In command prompt (Start-->Run-->CMD), type

net use z: \\192.168.1.2\c$

That is just an example, of course you would use the actual IP of the server and the actual drive of where SQL is located. Then, each machine will use the Z:\ drive as the servers C:\ drive so you can navigate it as a networked drive.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like what was said above...Is there going to be additional future users? Are there going to be changes implemented that affect all users? etc

If you can answer 'yes' to questions like these, then I would just create a domain and be done with it.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How would you do it? The main purpose of this is for the machines to take in data from the SQL server database.

-Run Dcpromo on the server and go through the wizard
    -Create user accounts in Active Directory Users and Computers for all users
    -Modify DNS on client computers to point to the server
    -Join client computers to domain
    -Create a new Group Policy that maps a drive letter to the share (ensure users have the correct permissions to the share & folder)
    -Scope GPO to the users
    -Have users log out/back in and see if the new drive shows up
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds like you might need a consultant. Just saying.