seeking advice

coloradogeek99coloradogeek99 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have been studying the A+ for a solid 10-12 hours a day for the past two months. I have read the exam cram book twice. The first time was just a quick read through and the 2nd time I actually took a lot of notes. After I completed my 2nd time through, I took the practice exams and then went back and made flash cards for any of the areas that seemed weak. So my question is what should I expect for the exam? Should I read another resource? Is there any simulators out there than will simulate questions similar to the exam or allow me to label the parts of a motherboard? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I plan on taking the test within the next week. Just not sure what to expect.

Comments

• OTBOOTBO Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used ExamCram as well as Professor Messer... I have worked on computers for a while, and I did go to a tech school a few years back, but with those two sources alone, I passed without any major problems.

Take practice exams, see where you're at. If you're still unsure, purchase 'CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Practice Questions Exam Cram', that should help to give you a better idea of if you're prepared or not.

Best of luck!
  • coloradogeek99coloradogeek99 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya I have been doing pretty well on my practice exams. After the first time reading the book I was just under a passing score and after my second time I have been consistently getting passing scores. I am just worried that I'm memorizing the questions more than I know it. I used to be really into computers in the 90s and then took to sports more for a while. The technology has done leaps and bounds since then and I haven't built a computer in almost 10 years. Just a little worried about the connections and scenarios.
  • OTBOOTBO Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY

Like I said, buy another book with practice questions, or check out your local library for any books that contain practice questions. Those few tests at the end of Exam Cram are good once or twice, but then you have them memorized. A book with fresh questions should give you a good idea of where you are.
  • CoolITnowCoolITnow Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer videos and his study guides helped me tremendously. I recommend them as well. I took the 220-801 yesterday and scored 832/900 primarily using those. Testout has a LabSim but it's 500 bucks or you can just use Messer's videos for the low cost of $.FREE99.
    So in your opinion it is worth it to purchase the study guides from professor messer?
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my experience, the practice exams in the Exam Cram are very close to the actual test. In all honesty, if you have been studying for the A+ 10-12 hours a day for 2 months, I think it's time to just to and take the exam. If you are doing well on the Exam Cram tests you'll do fine on the exam.
    Ya I have been kinda thinking the same thing. There is no way that a test under 90 questions can be that detailed, but at the same time, better safe than sorry. I am not really in a position to be wasting $188. I think I am going to take it Monday
  • CoolITnowCoolITnow Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes very worth it. It's only 10 bucks. You can just purchase the 801 study guide by itself and if you feel that it worked for you then when you prepare for the 802 you can buy that one. I just bought the 802 today. I arrived at the testing facility early and the guy administering the test asked if I wanted to go right in or wait til the scheduled time. I chose to wait and went to my car and looked over the study guide one last time before I took the test. If you have been studying for 2 months I think you can pass it. I was only studying a lil more than 2 weeks with the Messer material. Don't over study. I think you will be surprised at how well you do and how much stuff you did not need to know after you take it. Good luck. Oh and you can also use the voucher coupon code on Messer's site and save 10% on the price of the exam itself. My total for the one exam came to 169.20 not the full price of 188.00. Here is the url. http://www.professormesser.com/vouchers/
    Expires March 31st.
    Thank you for the advice. Ya I have felt like I may be over studying but its not that bad when you actually enjoy learning this stuff. I personally think that everyone who wants to use a computer should at least watch the messer videos. It would cause a lot less problems.
  • jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With that amount of studying and just a tiny bit of competence, you will destroy the exam... Id just go take it.
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    10-12 hours of studying a day?

I find that a little hard to believe but if it is true then I say you're ready.

I don't recall the exam being all that difficult.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."