Options

Need reliable Access Points

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
I am sharing my Internet connection between me and another family member on a farm, so he can get Internet access from me.
We have one TP-Link 2.4GHz 9dBi Directional Antenna on my house and one on his house.

We are currently using two Linksys WAP300N.
One which is placed in my house in "Access Point mode" and one placed in his house in "Repeater mode".

The distance between the our houses are 328 feet clear sight, so the signal and quality has been great.

This setup has worked very well for some time now, but the new Linksys products are VERY unreliable.

Such as access point starts booting randomly every 30 seconds, connectivity drops and they get extremely hot, so I've had them replaced a couple of times.

When I first got these access points there were very few reviews (plenty now on Amazon), and from my experience Linksys products has worked quite well in the past (WRT54G, WAP54G, DD-WRT etc etc.).

However, Belkin has bought Linksys and I've been on the line with tech support multiple times and I am very dissatisfied with their service skill and overall willingness to even help you with your issue. You get the feeling that they just want to get you off the lines.

Linksys products is not the same quality and not the same as it used to be, and I will recommend anyone here to stay away from their products.

Anyway.. I was hoping if there are someone here on the forums that has good experience with this kind of setup, and which products they used.

My antennas has RP-SMA Female connector.

Any advise / tips would be appreciated:)
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018

Comments

• Options
    lazyjklazyjk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would look at Ubiquiti (Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.) - Pick up a couple of picostations or nanostations or the outdoor Unifi AP's and it's super easy to create a point to point bridge. You won't even need the directional antennas :)
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    lazyjk,

Thank you very much for your advice.
    After you recommended me Ubiquiti Networks, I joined their forum and asked a few questions.
    A few days ago my two Picostations arrived and every thing is running smoothly.
    I did hook them up to my external antennas just since they were already on my wall.

Anyway.. Got really good signal and everything is working good!

Thank you very much for your help!
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018