Options

Break into System admin role

504tech504tech Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently a desktop/application support role. I would like to become a system admin. I have experience with servers, Citrix and video conferencing. I am MCP but would like to get back on the certification track again. What would be the best certs to start with? any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    If I were you, I would look into some MS cert - MCSA/MCSE.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    504tech504tech Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of starting with some Comptia certs since I havent taken an exam in a while. I agree that the MCSA windows server 2012 track may be the best way to go.
  • Options
    izatt82izatt82 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this is a cert forum, but honestly the sys admin title can be very broad. I am a sys admin and have zero certs mostly because employers won't support them. Depending on what you want to do here are somethings you need to know inside and out. Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and networking, win 7 inside and out, Powershell is becoming more and more important, Group policy objects, and exchange server. That is a short list IMO what an employer might want you to know walking in the door. With a sys admin title I also manage firewalls, IPS/IDS, webfiltering, some database work, routers/switches, LAN/WAN troubleshooting, Wireshark, and so on. All depends on the job, but whatever route gets you this kind of knowledge should land you a job IMO.