Media Center Upgrade to XP Pro?

benodictinebenodictine Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know if Media Center is Upgradeable to Windows XP Professional?

Details:

Currently Installed:
Windows XP Media Center Edition Verison 2002 Service Pack 2

Upgrade to:
XP Professional Service Pack 2

Thanks

Comments

• TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    We've had nothing but problems with media center in an office environment.

You can always try. But I would reconmend a clean install and copy the data back on it.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Media Center is part of Vista so you could wait for that.

I do not recall Media Center being part of the upgrade path to XP. Since XP was out first, MC would be Downgrade, but they are geared toward different user groups.

MC is more of the home movie, photo center organizer while XP is a workstation.

Not sure why it would be chosen for business, and can see why it wouldn't work...it wasn't designed for a work enviroment.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Media Center is a media enhanced version of xp pro. No upgrade path to xp pro from MDC.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't think it is fully pro unless rollup2 upgrade to pro status? I believe it is home with file security add on's so you can do remote desktop but wireless networking removed. http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/editions/xp-pro/media.mspx During the original MS Partner training it was described as XP Home with extensions and would only be available for specific systems. Not saying you are wrong but that was the original plan. I lost interest after that. Media center is not needed in a office environment for the same reason that most companies trash the speakers and microphones except for special request. Those xbox extensions aren't really helpful either.

Microsofts site is not always up to date creating conflicting info. Another good one is how does dual core operate with XP Home when the MS site says only one CPU allowed in XP Home.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    You do see lots of dual core systems appearing with XP Home so has it changed and now comes with a dual processor HAL or are people being scammed.

Used Auto sales person versus computer sales person... Only one knows when he is lying. icon_wink.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Why would you want to upgrade Media center Service Pack 2 to XP Service Pack 2? Apart from being different platforms, they are on the same par "update wise". Microsoft wouldn't recomend these path. On the other hand, why not go ahead and try it just for curiosity's sake and give as the feedback.
    Hard times on planet earth.