Multiboot 2003 & Linux?

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
I'm trying to learn linux for the first time. So what I want to do is set up a multiboot system with my windows 2003 OS and some version of Linux.

So, i have two questions: 1) which version of Linux is easiest to learn / best for this
2) how the hell do i do this? I've looked a lot online and haven't found any good explanations yet. (although I've only spent about 10 minutes looking so far).

I appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer!! Thanks :D
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    1. There are many choices and depending on who you ask will get different answers. Pick anyone. Mandrake used to be touted as one of the 'easier' ones, but I don't seem to hear as much about it these days.

2. ??? Can't find anything? Try:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Linux+windows+dual+boot
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • LewisJ.SLewisJ.S Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally id use vmware for what you want to do. you can do a search on google for it and you will find how to use it (thats if you dont already know) but i cant help you with what linux would be best for you as ive very little linux experience too. :)
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just started to Learn ubuntu Linux. It's a nice OS
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can dual-boot, and it's not too hard to set up. Try 30 minutes of research instead of 10. :)

I really like Fedora (core 5 is out, but I still use core 2 on a production server and core 4 on a workstation). As someone else mentioned, everyone will have a different answer for a favorite.

Another option instead of dual booting is to use a "live" CD of which there are many. Knoppix is a very popular version (www.knoppix.org). This way nothing gets installed to your hard drive, you boot to the linux live CD and everything runs off the CD and memory. You need a decent amount of memory for this, say 512MB minimum and prefer 1GB, otherwise it will seem exceptionally slow. When you are done "playing" with linux, reboot, remove the CD and you are back in 2003 without having modified or installed anything.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    I reckon Red Hat is quite good to use to learn linux, get familiar with the way linux works. I dont get one thing , why linux certification is regarded so good to have when ive been working for 1 year as an engineer and have only come across linux once to restore backups which were created in linux.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Mandriva (aka mandrake) is an easy OS to learn, while Ubuntu is probably your best bet if you want to learn something that has a possibility of becoming mainstream in a business setting.

So a good choice would be to start with Mandriva 06, then work your way up to Ubuntu when you're ready.

Travis