Passed VCAP5-DCD on monday!

Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
What a beast of an exam. A few surprise questions, had a bug/crash during one of the design (visio) questions that required I reset the whole thing and start over, and finished with 2 minutes left.

Everybody says time management is important but under pressure and facing some tough questions, it's not as easy as it sounds. Probably the most challenging exam I have ever taken, very proud I passed (although not with the type of scores I usually get).

Onto the DCA now and maybe eventually VCDX!

Marc
Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...

Comments

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Congrats mate, Best of luck with DCA.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats !!
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good stuff!! It certainly was a beast, shame that VMware havent been able to iron those bugs out. Did you have that question in which pulling the bigger thing onto the canvas ruined the whole design? That drove me nuts! Luckily, a part of my brain still worked and I restarted with a clean canvas and pulled that bigger thing on to the canvas first and then went on with the rest of the design question. (I wont name the thing or the question for obvious reasons.)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that was it actually :) Guess they should be able to figure it out if it's a repeatable bug. In any case, it's done, on to the next thing. I'm taking a break for now, as I'm going on vacation in a month (for a month!! :) ) so I'll resume my studies end of may!
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sure is repeatable! VMware's own forums have a number of complainants. Anyways, it doesnt worry us anymore does it?!

Good luck with the DCA, it's a little beast too (but easier than the DCD, that's if you admin the product daily). If you like, check my blog for some tips/tricks. Have fun while on the holiday!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
  • maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    Thanks everybody... @Essendon, I don't administer the environments anymore, I mostly work on design and implementation. I find it a bit odd that the VCDX path requires the DCA has it`s full-on hands on... Oh well...
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    félicitation!

From what I hear, it is indeed a tough exam!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    What did you use to study?
  • KonfliktKonflikt Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!! that is a really challenging exam.
    for 2013: [x] 3x VCA, [x] VCAP5-DCA, [-] VCAP-DCD - failed. PASSED in 2014
    for 2014: [x] BACP, [x] SCP, [x] 70-409, [x] VCAP-DCD
    for 2015: [x] VCP6-DCV,
    for 2016: [x] upgrade VCAPs to VCIX6-DCV, [x] CCNA [-]
    2019: NEW job, back to again to the datacenter area:)
    My Virtual blog: vthing.wordpress.com
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    What did you use to study?

There is a lot of info already on this site for this and on multiple blogs. There's only so much material you can use :)
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Nice, congratulations. Are you more of an administrator or designer (judging your name i'm guessing the latter). What tips would you give to somebody coming from an administrators perspective?
    tomtom1 wrote: »
    Nice, congratulations. Are you more of an administrator or designer (judging your name i'm guessing the latter). What tips would you give to somebody coming from an administrators perspective?

Worked as a sysadmin for 10 years, moved into a consulting role (same company) doing detailed design for various technologies (AD, SCOM, vSphere, VMware View, SRM, etc...) for the past 6 years or so.

Advice? I'm still struggling to find my place... I love being hands-on but I don't want to do operations anymore. I have done a lot of interviews where I was not selected because I mentionned that hands-on work was important for me (proof of concept, deployment, initial configuration before transfer to ops). If that's what you like as well, consulting is the way to go it seems. Otherwise, try to get architecture training/certs (TOGAF is asked often although I dont have it either - I find the content more "enterprise architecture" than technical architecture...)

Marc